Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Accidental damage to rented house ceramic hob - whose insurance

(12 Posts)
Frostycam Sun 08-Feb-15 09:10:18

Student dd dropped a glass bottle on the ceramic hob in her rented house. A chunk of the hob broke off.

She emailed the ll who says she will need to pay for a replacement and fitting by qualified person and he asks if she has insurance.

Now, to my mind (and I am also a ll), the hob is a permanent fixture and it should come under his insurance , with her either paying the excess or losing the equivalent amount of her damage deposit.

(It may be cheaper for me and dh her to arrange the replacement as he suggests of course).

What do you reckon? I have suggested she speak to the student housing office this week and see what they say.

holeinmyheart Sun 08-Feb-15 15:23:07

The ll should be insured but her excess may be too low. What about offering to pay half?
I must applaud your DD for owning up. None has ever owned up in any house I have ever owned. Ie a iron shaped burn mark in the middle of a perfectly good carpet.
As a ll I just paid up and factored it into the rent.

Frostycam Sun 08-Feb-15 15:47:45

Thanks. My (hypothetical) question was really about whose insurance it should come off, if there needs to be an insurance claim.

I would say the landlord's as the hob is a fixture and fitting, but dd should pay his excess or meet the replacement cost, whichever is the lower. (More likely to be that we will pay all or some of it as her income is virtually non-existent).

Dd doesn't have insurance anyway, we decided her belongings weren't worth the cost of the premium.

We'll start getting prices next week.

specialsubject Sun 08-Feb-15 21:09:08

I also found an iron burn in the middle of a carpet, tenants were not students. FFS...


tenant's insurance usually offers accidental damage cover for this kind of thing. But I see you didn't think it worth it.

so you pay, this is damage not wear and tear. (Otherwise it comes out of the deposit) Make sure she knows what it costs.

remember if there is a fire,burglary or flood, the landlord doesn't pay for her stuff. bye-bye ipad...

holeinmyheart Mon 09-Feb-15 09:04:40

I always said to the Tenants that I couldnt insure their stuff. I had LL insurance from Endsleigh who specialise in Students.
They broke things on occasion but never owned up.

I think as a LL I would pay as she is such a nicely brought up person( well done frosty ) I would have been astonished really, by them owning up.
To be fair, on the whole I had lovely tenants. I chose them carefully and treated them fairly.

They don't treat your stuff with much respect and they consider us fair game as they think we are rich.

So the landlord should pay as it is accidental damage. If you offered me half I would decline but then it is a matter of whether you think you can afford it.

GritStrength Mon 09-Feb-15 09:08:17

No obligation for him to have accidental damage insurance and he probably doesn't. As he would, understandably, expect your daughter to pay for the things she damages.

Handsupbabyhandsup Mon 09-Feb-15 09:29:26

If he claims on his insurance then the insurance company will fix it and then they will chase your daughter for the whole cost of repair. Once she has paid up then the landlord will have his/her excess refunded. He probably asked if she had insurance because then it's a simpler transaction between insurance companies as content insurance has a personal liability component of it.

It's not fair wear and tear - she caused the damage and has admitted liability so she doesn't have a chance of avoiding the insurance company bill. If you think you can get it fixed cheaply then you would be better than going through the insurance company.

And it's a common mistake to think paying the excess is the end of it. The insurance company will demand full payment of the cost of damage. The excess is only for the insured person.

But she needs content insurance even if her contents are not worth it. My neighbour brought and plugged in a television. The television started a fire and it totally destroyed the house. House burned to the ground. My neighbour didn't have insurance. The fire service determined that the fire started in a corner of the lounge but couldn't link it to the TV. If they did then my neighbour would have been responsible for the damage. All of it! But if she had contents insurance then the personal liability part would have covered this. If you are renting you need to have this - financially you will recover from a broken stove top but not from destroying a whole house.

specialsubject Mon 09-Feb-15 13:37:21

of course she is decently brought up. It is sad that we are surprised.

same way as people say 'I'm a good tenant because I paid the rent'. No, that's what normal decent people do. Otherwise you would be a thief.

very wise advice from handsup. Daughter needs to get contents insurance.

NorwaySpruce Mon 09-Feb-15 13:43:43

We rent, and would expect to pay or use our insurance if we damaged the hob like that.

Wed only expect the landlord to pay for damage to the structure of the building, or for something that had broken down or been daged by something outside our control.

We pay for broken window glass for instance and would expect to claim on our insurance if we broke the LL's white goods, front door, fence etc. Basically, any damage we cause.

Living Tue 10-Feb-15 17:05:14

I'm slightly confused as to why you're asking about the landlord's insurance. Are you saying that you wouldn't expect your daughter to be fully liable for accidental damage she has done to a rented house? Of course she has to pay the whole cost. By owning up now she's just avoiding a future claim on the deposit - she'd still have yo pay eventually. Accidental damage like this is exactly what deposits are meant to cover (that and tenants not paying the rent of course).

WestEast Tue 10-Feb-15 17:10:52

I'm a tenant and I rent out my own home to a friend. As she damaged it I would expect her to pay for it's repair.

lougle Tue 10-Feb-15 17:15:01

Shelter says it's your DD's problem. Sorry!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: