Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Ex Threatening Court

(7 Posts)
killerjane Sat 07-Feb-15 14:26:34

So my boyfriend broke up with me last week, and over the weekend we got in a massive argument which culminated with him asking for the £200 he contributed to a holiday to Amsterdam back.

He gave me cash and I put everything on my card and in my name. Everything is non-refundable so there's literally nothing I can give him back. I paid out of my pocket for my best friend's name to be switched onto the flight.

He then threatened me physically to give him the money back 'or else' at which point I contacted the police. They assured me I hadn't committed theft, but if he wanted to go to small claims court, he could if he thought he had a case. He was advised to stop contacting me.

He did contact me, to give me a 'final opportunity' to pay him back before he got a solicitor. I rang Citizens Advice who told me not to worry and just see how things play out.

Am I in trouble?

AJNH Sat 07-Feb-15 14:43:13

Pretty sure you are not in trouble. He sounds like a loon. It'll cost him a lot more than the £200 to get a solicitor involved so to highly doubt he'll bother tbh. A solicitor I use in sussex Is £160 an hour + vat. I wouldn't be worrying if I were you :-) enjoy Amsterdam!

killerjane Sat 07-Feb-15 15:26:46

That was what I thought, and i know he isn't very well off to begin with. Thank you very much!

LaurieFairyCake Sat 07-Feb-15 15:33:10

Just let him take you to court - he had the option to claim on his travel insurance if he wasn't travelling or sell his own ticket. All his problem not yours.

On a separate note it's far more worrying that he threatened you - you must contact the police if he keeps on.

Save his messages but don't respond.

lalalonglegs Sat 07-Feb-15 16:23:34

Surely if your friend is going in his place, s/he should pay your ex something? I can see why he is miffed (although I don't think he should threaten anyone).

killerjane Mon 09-Feb-15 10:44:55

Since I had to organise literally everything, he hadn't sorted any insurance I out. I already had insurance from previous trips, so I'm not sure that's an option for him.

killerjane Mon 09-Feb-15 10:45:42

We've paid over the odds to change her name to the ticket so it's not like its been a free holiday.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: