Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

What will happen now? Ex forged my signature on mortgage

(9 Posts)
GothyGeisha Thu 29-Jan-15 14:31:01

I'm a bit shaky so sorry if this is all over the place.

Jointly owned and mortgaged home. I moved out with my children due to domestic violence last year.

He has asked the mortgage lender to change from repayment mortgage to interest only, and has forged my signature on the documents. I just found out today.

I have spoken to the mortgage lender on the phone and they are starting an investigation. I've also spoken to the police and they are liaising with the mortgage lender and also starting their own investigation.

The house has been up for sale since just after I moved out last May. He has been very obstructive, not letting the estate agent do viewings.

He has paid some of the mortgage, but not all of it. The cost of the interest only mortgage is nearly a third of the payments due on the original repayment mortgage.

FlowerFairy2014 Thu 29-Jan-15 19:15:40

Very bad.

However have you lost out? It may be that instead of the house being repossessed because he moved it to interest only everyone is better off until things are finalised on the divorce. I suspect you need a court order giving you control of the sale/ IN fact if he's violent why haven't you had an order that he leaves the house and you and the children can stay in it?

GothyGeisha Thu 29-Jan-15 20:26:37

We're not married, sorry I should have said.

I've not lost out financially yet.
He agreed to sell the house and to carry on paying the mortgage til it sold. I couldn't afford it on my own.

Thanks for the reply

FlowerFairy2014 Fri 30-Jan-15 07:46:52

Write by special delivery to the mortgage lender and keep a copy as they may well deny the phone call. keep copies of all letters.
Write to your ex and set it out too.

Could you not get a court order to exclude him from the house and you move back in due to his violence and then you could be in charge of selling it if you cannot afford to stay there? A solicitor can advise you on the order and also any rights under the Children Act to stay there which apply whether you are married or not.

Moreisnnogedag Fri 30-Jan-15 07:56:26

Have you been paying 50% of the mortgage payment / some other percentage? Because then yes you have list out financially too.

GothyGeisha Fri 30-Jan-15 08:02:06

I've not paid anything towards the mortgage since I moved out, he said he would pay it if I would pay what he ran up on my credit cards!!

I can't afford the mortgage on my own if I moved back in, the house would end up being repossessed, if it isn't going to now anyway.

I will send the letters to the mortgage lender, thank you.

FlowerFairy2014 Fri 30-Jan-15 09:03:27

Good luck with it all.

babybarrister Fri 30-Jan-15 09:55:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GothyGeisha Fri 30-Jan-15 11:25:13

Thanks everyone.

Children aren't ex's so no impact that way.

Will get appointment with a solicitor, and see what happens with the police investigation.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: