Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Medical negligence complaint

(10 Posts)
Whatsonemore Wed 28-Jan-15 13:02:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ScouseBird8364 Thu 29-Jan-15 21:41:05


I guess it all depends on what the circumstances are and who it is against, e.g. NHS or private?

My hubby filed one against the NHS a few years back, but they came back with every excuse in the book hmm

Rjae Fri 30-Jan-15 11:00:56

Contact PALS if it's a hospital and you just want answers.

See a specialist medical negligence solicitor they will take you through the process.

girlynut Fri 30-Jan-15 23:10:15

If you're unhappy with treatment at a hospital, write to the Chief Executive of the Trust. If it is your GP, write to the surgery.

PALS can assist you. The complaint doesn't have to be anything complicated. Just set out what happened, in broad terms, and what you think was wrong. Bear in mind that things like poor communication, nasty consultants, etc do not equate to legal negligence. You need to show that the standard of care / treatment was below the standard of a reasonably competent doctor.

And that you've suffered injury as a result. That can be quite hard to establish as invariably patients are poorly in the first place. If you would have become ill / injured anyway regardless of the negligent treatment, your claim will fail.

You might want to request a copy of your records too. There may be a fee for them.

If you're not satisfied with the response from the Trust, seek advice from a specialist clinical negligence firm. They should be able to advise you on the merits of a claim based on your complaint paperwork.

I work in Clin neg so happy to give you some more general advice if you want to pm me.

Whatsonemore Sat 31-Jan-15 06:50:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Whatsonemore Sat 31-Jan-15 06:53:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Whatsonemore Sat 31-Jan-15 06:54:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rjae Sat 31-Jan-15 21:55:05

Wrt to negligence you have to prove harm occurred because someone who should have been providing adequate care failed in their duty. As your baby was very ill at birth and that was (presumably) avoidable then a solicitor specialising in legal negligence will request the notes from the hospital and look them over for you to see if there is a case to answer.

You can get them yourself for about £50 but will need someone to interpret them for you. You need to decide whether you just want an apology or monetary compensation. If it's just an apology then PALS may help you.

Whatsonemore Sun 01-Feb-15 10:11:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

blackbben Wed 17-Jun-15 15:22:39

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: