Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Lawyers out there need a gift for a future lawyer

(7 Posts)
campingfilth Sun 18-Jan-15 21:59:27

Sorry I have posted this in chat but though I may get some responses in here too....

My wonderful niece is going to Uni in September to study Law and I want to get her a good text book that will help her with her studies. Can anyone recommend one please? Its her 18th in Feb and want to give it to her then. Looking to spend about £100 on her so not too fussed about price as long as its a book that she will need for all 3 years and then some.

In nursing we had core texts so hoping Law will be the same. I'm very jealous and excited for her as I'd love to do Law grin

Lalalalandlord Sun 18-Jan-15 22:04:12

Hmmm hard one as I do think different Unis will use different texts and there are many different areas of law. Would suggest a water stones book token may be better.
Or, a smart briefcase / work bag she may do shadowing schemes as early as her first summer and can use throughout her career. If you are set on books
How about some of these
www.theguardian.com/law/2012/aug/08/six-best-law-books

campingfilth Sun 18-Jan-15 22:08:09

fab ideas about the briefcase and thanks so much for link.

homebythesea Sun 18-Jan-15 22:19:02

This is a quite brilliant book for law students- it has stood the test of time, a classic that she will dip into for years

www.amazon.co.uk/Glanville-Williams-Learning-ATH-Smith/dp/0414041739

campingfilth Mon 19-Jan-15 12:25:54

Thank you for that.

Heels99 Mon 19-Jan-15 12:27:58

I know lots of lawyers and none of them use briefcases!

campingfilth Mon 19-Jan-15 20:56:48

I was thinking about the briefcase thing and realised that they may use the wheely cases now. I have bought her the book recommended by home and some off the guardian list that lala mentioned and also a dictionary and one about how to write the best law essays and answer exam questions that had good reviews on amazon.

Hoping she will like them and find them useful and if not I can read them grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: