Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

New drug driving laws are a shock

(15 Posts)
jpm129 Sun 18-Jan-15 15:02:26

has anyone else realised these are coming in. Even painkillers could get you banned if strong enough.

http://bit.ly/1IIpozJ

Not sure if I should worry. I suspect anyone who has the spliff etc could be in bother.

jpm129 Sun 18-Jan-15 15:03:42

Sorry don't know how to make link live

Theimpossiblegirl Sun 18-Jan-15 15:14:30

When I was on strong painkillers last year I was told it wasn't safe to drive on them. As long as guidance is clear for prescribed drugs then it seems fair enough.

I know people who smoke cannabis and drive and it really makes me cross. If it doesn't affect them, why smoke it. If it does, why drive? I say this as someone who has smoked in the past but would never drink/smoke and drive.

Then again, some people get a bit lively after a 2 shot latte so where to draw a line...

Theimpossiblegirl Sun 18-Jan-15 15:16:23

link to article

firesidechat Sun 18-Jan-15 15:58:56

It's a good thing isn't it? I don't want to on the road with someone who is under the influence of anything, including strong painkillers if those painkillers impair their ability to make good judgements.

Timeforabiscuit Sun 18-Jan-15 16:00:58

Yes, strong pain killers can contain opiates - also found in heroin if you're lucky grin

mynewpassion Sun 18-Jan-15 17:50:24

What's wrong with it? Impaired driving by legal or illegal drugs or drinking is still impaired driving and endangering other people

26Point2Miles Sun 18-Jan-15 17:57:17

Yes, it's a good thing! Smokers of weed all think they are 'ok' hmm

Oodbrain Sun 18-Jan-15 18:40:08

Is it just the drugs in the article? I take codiene and depending on how many they can make me feel odd. I know this and stick to the lower level unless I really need them ( & then don't leave the house anyway!) but I'm now worried in case the lower level could be bad?

YesIDidMeanToBeSoRudeActually Sun 18-Jan-15 19:13:03

I take lots of painkillers and wasn't aware of a change in laws so thanks for linking. I use tramadol daily with no side effects (that would affect driving) and can't see anything about this in the article. I occasionally take diazepam or oromorph or similar morphine prescriptions, I don't feel up to driving on these so wouldn't anyway but I wonder if GPs would need to flag this up as even if the leaflets were changed, I know a lot of long term users like myself don't look at the leaflets any more!

I do think driving impaired by use of illegal drugs is as bad as drink driving and it's good to see the law strengthened on this.

YesIDidMeanToBeSoRudeActually Sun 18-Jan-15 19:14:33

Just to point out, I have a health condition and these are all prescribed, it sounded bad when I read it back!

26Point2Miles Sun 18-Jan-15 19:33:22

Presumably gp's will be required to mention it but I think it's up to the individual to take responsibility for themselves.

MidniteScribbler Mon 19-Jan-15 09:16:45

We've had similiiar laws in Australia for quite a few years. I have no problem with them, the more people removed from the road who shouldn't be behind the wheel of a car, the better.

Timeforabiscuit Mon 19-Jan-15 17:18:01

Personally, I wouldn't rely on a gp to tell me - I think the pharmacist dispensing would be a safer bet especially with dosing being so changeable.

LurkingHusband Tue 20-Jan-15 09:32:24

Does anyone know if the new regime requires the police produce evidence that driving was impaired. Or is it just a list of allowable levels of metabolites in the bloodstream, and that's that ?

If the latter, then it makes no difference how your driving was. If you are over - you're charged.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: