Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Completed on house but outstanding issue has arised - any conveyancers out there?

(4 Posts)
NibongGirl Mon 12-Jan-15 16:14:47

Hello

Any conveyancing legal eagles out there? Your advice would be soooo appreciated.

Before completing on a buy-to-let property recently, I raised a query about a gate lock that I wanted changing as I felt it was faulty but the vendor replied saying it would not be changed as it worked perfectly. I let it slide as I didn;t want to hold up the completion.

After completion, the vendor asked to stay on and rent from me for a month or two - so we signed a short-term tenancy contract and he became my tenant. Since then, I have visited the property and the gate lock is still jammed. I have had a handyman take it out and look at it and I have had to replace it as the mechanism was in fact jammed.

From your experience, would I be able to go back to the vendor ( who is now the tenant about it? ). He is moving out very soon and I was wondering whether I would have any grounds to deduct the fee of changing the lock from his deposit ? Or would I have any right to even ask him to share the cost of replacing the lock as he insisted it worked perfectly before completion?

Or as I now legally own the property and have only since completing had the chance to check the gate lock myself, do I have no right to go back to him at all?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rangirl Mon 12-Jan-15 18:55:01

I am afraid in my opinion you have no claim against the Seller You certainly have no right to deduct it from the deposit Has the deposit been registered

NibongGirl Mon 12-Jan-15 19:07:49

Thanks Rangirl. I am new at this so I was not sure what was ok and not but I hoped someone could enlighten me! Thanks.

FlowerFairy2014 Mon 12-Jan-15 20:18:38

I am afraid I agree too.
Also I hope you signed an assured shorthold - I was a bit worried when you said he was staying on for a few weeks. If you don't get the paperwork right then tenants can get rights to stay longer.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: