Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Lodgers. Legalities. Tell me everything.

(3 Posts)
justjuanmorebeer Sun 11-Jan-15 14:07:13

My DP is currently buying a house. He is looking at a 3 bed and considering renting out two of the rooms but wants to research everything beforehand.

We do not live together currently as still a relatively new relationship but if things are still going well we are working towards me moving in to his property in approx a year to 18months time. So the lodger situation would be a temporary solution, to over pay on the mortgage and build some more savings to redo bathroom etc at some point.

Does this sound like a sensible idea?

Would he be required to take out specific landlord insurance as if they were tenants?

If a property has three unrelated people living in it is it classed as a HMO now or is that just if each tenant has an assured shorthold contract?

If anyone could answer or direct me some good resources I would really appreciate it smile

BetsyBoop Sun 11-Jan-15 14:55:48

ink{http://www.gov.uk/government/publications/letting-rooms-in-your-home-a-guide-for-resident-landlords\www.gov.uk/government/publications/letting-rooms-in-your-home-a-guide-for-resident-landlord]]s}

justjuanmorebeer Sun 11-Jan-15 16:26:23

Thanks Betsy, yes we've seen that. Can anyone who takes in lodgers comment on the insurance side of things?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now