Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Which name to use when getting married

(5 Posts)
magicmonkeysfortea Sun 11-Jan-15 11:01:55

When I fell pg with DC1 I was nearing the end of a rather long divorce so I was still known as 'Mrs'. Rightly or wrongly (and probably under the influence of hormones) I changed my surname name by deed pole to match that of my partner (lets call him Smith), this was with the intention of getting married at a later point, I also did not want my ex husbands name on DC1s birth certificate.

I changed my name with my bank, driving licence etc.

A few years later DP and I had a rather large falling out and I made the rather rash decision to go back to my maiden name. I completed the deed pole process but didn't actually get around to changing the name that I used for my bank/utilities/driving licence etc, so the name I am know as is still Ms Smith. I am not known as my maiden name on anything accept facebook and one email account.

Fast forward a few years and DP and I have resolved our differences and plan to get married. All identification that I have is in the name of Ms Smith...do I need to mention the deed pole for the name that I have never used and have no ID for?

pinkyredrose Sun 11-Jan-15 11:05:51

No you don't need to mention it at all. It's perfectly legal to be known by two or more names as long as you're not doing so for fraudulent purposes.

pinkyredrose Sun 11-Jan-15 11:09:19

This link might help https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll/overview

You don't actually need any documentation to change name by law but some institutions prefer it. You can simply change your name by telling people that's how you wish to be addressed from now on.

magicmonkeysfortea Sun 11-Jan-15 11:52:27

Oh good, thank you! Thanks for the link too.

pinkyredrose Sun 11-Jan-15 17:14:51

No problem smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now