Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Implications of changing name on passport but no other documents

(5 Posts)
Iknewitwouldturnup Fri 09-Jan-15 21:26:11


Not sure if this is the right area to post this query!

I have kept my maiden name. I have two children. I don't really want to change my name. I have read that if I were to travel abroad without my husband and have my passport in my maiden name which is different to the childrens/husband there could be issues proving they are in fact my children. Some people take birth certificates, letters etc apparently.

My passport needs renewing so wondered about changing my name merely in the passport. I don't use my husbands surname in any other situation.

I thought this a good idea to save travel problems but then realised that in most situations of proving identity a passport is used so I would not be proving my usual surname!

Are there any implications having only one but a crucial one piece of documentation in a "married" name? And could I change it back at the next passport change if it caused problems or would I have to show a divorce certificate!

littlemisstax Fri 09-Jan-15 21:51:32

I have both my married name and maiden name on my passport (maiden name is in the "official observations" box - best of both worlds?

Iknewitwouldturnup Fri 09-Jan-15 21:59:14

Thanks for reply

How do you put something in the observations box? Is there something on the form?

Wonder if you could get "children are DS and DD iknewitwouldturnups husbands surname" in the box!

Musicaltheatremum Sat 10-Jan-15 16:22:34

Yes there is an option to put a second name. I have a note in my passport to say I am professionally known as " maiden name" as I kept that for work.

PiratePanda Sat 10-Jan-15 16:31:09

I've had my passport in my married name and most bills etc in my previous name for four years now. No legal problems but eventually it get's really annoying having to produce birth/marriage certificates as well as utility bills and passport whenever you need to formally prove your identity.

Just change your name on all personal formal documents, and use your old name professionally for work. There is no legal impediment to doing this.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: