Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Divorce advice

(3 Posts)
LittleMissRayofHope Thu 08-Jan-15 09:16:51

If you fill out the divorce papers, do you then have to serve the other party somehow formally?
Can you just hand the papers over to them and that's enough?

Collaborate Thu 08-Jan-15 09:53:28

Handing the papers over personally like that is called personal service. If you're acting for yourself you'll have to get a process server to do it for you. You can't do it yourself. Whoever does the service needs to file in court a statement of service. Because you are too closely connected to the case it wouldn't be accepted as proof.
On the other hand, if your husband will cooperate and file his acknowledgment form in a timely manner, you won't need to prove service at all.

LittleMissRayofHope Thu 08-Jan-15 19:36:08

Ok great thanks.
My DB is divorcing SIL and I doubt highly she would accept the papers from him.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: