Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Split up but holiday in his name - can I get my money back?

(15 Posts)
Aloneandnowwhat Tue 06-Jan-15 21:17:13

Hi I'm hoping someone can help me...
Split up with bf but had booked a holiday together. Paid half each (I paid on my credit card) but the booking was made in his name.
He now won't give me my money back or cancel the tickets, he's taking somebody else.
Spoke to travel agent and he can change the name on my ticket but I cannot cancel or get my money back.
I have contacted my credit card company and am waiting for a response although I'm not hopeful.
Is it a small claims job do you think? My ex is pretty clever and has already said he will claim not to be able to afford to pay me, only a nominal amount.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

LIZS Tue 06-Jan-15 21:18:33

When are you due to go , would travel insurance cover any of the charges?

Aloneandnowwhat Tue 06-Jan-15 21:28:38

March 2015 and no the insurance wouldn't cover this, although I dont have any anyway :-(

prh47bridge Tue 06-Jan-15 23:55:41

Your ex is not very clever if he thinks the court would accept a claim that he couldn't afford to pay you without checking, or that they would reduce any amount owed to what he claimed to be able to afford. The best he could hope for, if they found in your favour, is that he would be able to pay you back so much per week rather than the whole amount in one go.

I am not saying you would win but if you did he could not get the court to reduce the amount he owed you in the way he is suggesting.

Aloneandnowwhat Wed 07-Jan-15 06:10:54

That's what he means - like a small amount each week just to drag it out and be awkward.

specialsubject Wed 07-Jan-15 12:37:34

try small claims.

and learn a lesson, never ever book a holiday abroad without booking insurance at the same time. Not for this situation, but for many others.

MaryWestmacott Wed 07-Jan-15 12:42:37

Well, I think in this situation, you just have to let it go. Let him think he's 'won' this one, you've won long term by not having to go on holiday with a man who's a wanker.

Another thought, can you call the company back, if it's booked in your name, can you block your ticket being changed to another name? Sod him, he can go by himself or pay for his friend to get a new ticket... Worth a shot... Alternatively, ask for your ticket to be sent to you. Can you just say you are going to go? See what he does...

Stubbed Wed 07-Jan-15 12:44:13

Get your credit card company to reverse the payment. Then tell the holiday company that your ex will pay the difference? Maybe worth a try

AngelDreams Thu 08-Jan-15 15:28:34

i would tell him i was planning to go, and make sure that the holiday firm knows not to change your name on the tickets - although, if he booked it i'm not sure you can stop it

annoying as hell

Aloneandnowwhat Thu 08-Jan-15 18:13:32

Well he's cancelled the whole holiday. 50% refund goes directly back to him, so judging by current frosty relations I lose everything and he gets the whole lot back.

titchy Thu 08-Jan-15 18:22:58

Well in that case he can't argue he can't repay you at a small claims court can he?

Aloneandnowwhat Thu 08-Jan-15 18:27:07

Yes I could do that I suppose and get half the refund. I've learned my lesson, was an expensive holiday and half is totally lost.

MaryWestmacott Thu 08-Jan-15 18:29:09

Can you contact the travel company, normally when companies refund, it's back to the card it was paid on. It's worth a try...

Aloneandnowwhat Thu 08-Jan-15 19:23:26

Hi Mary thanks I already tried that. Because he paid slightly more (by less than £10) the refund goes back in the way most of the holiday was paid for. It's like everything is going against me honestly.

specialsubject Thu 08-Jan-15 20:07:53

get on to your credit card company and don't take no for an answer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now