Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Why would I have a £100 refund from HM courts?

(33 Posts)
bananananacoconuts Tue 06-Jan-15 17:54:34

As The title suggests really. Have discovered that HMCOURTS-SVS.GOV deposited £100 in to my account yesterday!
I paid a speeding fine for exh about 4 months ago which was £100but that was from a different account. Anyone heard of this before?

listsandbudgets Tue 06-Jan-15 21:59:12

I would contact them to ask. It sounds like a mistake especially if its come into a different account than they one you used.

bananananacoconuts Wed 07-Jan-15 17:53:37

Thanks for your reply. Who would i contact?

listsandbudgets Thu 08-Jan-15 17:50:52

I would contact your local magistrates court and ask them for their fees office or whoever deals with finance. They'll probably be able to poiint you in teh right direction.

Alternatively you could tell your bank its a payment you weren't expecting and they can tell you want to do.

Or you could just keep it and hope no one ever notices but if / when they do it will be taken back out of your account by the bank

amberf32 Thu 22-Jan-15 10:10:52

Hi I also received a refund but I'm not sure what this was for I've tried getting their contact number to check what the refund was for. Any luck banana?

Greenfizzywater Thu 22-Jan-15 20:12:34

TBH I'd hang onto it but don't spend it, you may as well earn some interest. Just be willing to give it back when asked.

fizzylizzy12 Tue 07-Apr-15 23:44:08

HI There, ive too just received the same refund. Just wondered if anybody ever found out what the refund was for? as I have no idea. Thanks smile

LotusLight Wed 08-Apr-15 09:53:22

It may be an error. Do remember you cannot keep money which isn't yours as it's theft so don't go spending it!

clairevs74 Thu 09-Apr-15 16:48:05

Me too... £100 received this month. My bank has confirmed that the source is genuine so at least its come through a legal avenue
Cannot find any phone number to call. Paid a speeding fine a few months ago for £100. Maybe its been refunded??

ScOffasDyke Tue 14-Apr-15 00:14:29

Maybe its a refund of a speeding fixed penalty - refunded because you didn't send in your driving licence with the payment.

You'll probably be receiving a court summons shortly.

Collaborate Tue 14-Apr-15 09:41:46

Might it be the refund of a driving related fine where it's been found later on that the fine was incorrectly issued?

sadiewakefield Sun 17-May-15 10:00:43

Hi, Iv just received the same and I too paid a fine a few months back. Did anything happen with yours? I'm not sure what to do. I can't find a number to contact

BadgersArse Sun 17-May-15 10:02:57

phone your local court

they will look it up. agree it might be that you paid a fixed penalty ( or anticipated one) but you are a totter so might be banned, hence court summons due and penalty refunded?

BadgersArse Sun 17-May-15 10:05:48

Or there was a group challenge to something - there was a huge refund on speeding penalties on.. was it the M4 roadworks a few years ago?

similar to that

shandykat1 Sun 31-May-15 20:13:33

Recieved this today. Did anyone find out what it was for

22Apprentice Thu 03-Sep-15 08:59:58

Hi did you ever get to the bottom of this, I've had a £100 put back into my account after paying a speeding fine a few moths ago.

Roomba Thu 03-Sep-15 09:08:25

My ex had this happen a few years back - he hadn't sent his licence in when he paid the fine, so it was refunded and he got a summons a months or so later. I doubt that has happened to all of you though, so suspect a refund due to a legal challenge?

22Apprentice Thu 03-Sep-15 09:21:54

What happened, I've sent my licence off but they have said they didn't receive it, I'm worried sick

micheakc226 Sat 10-Oct-15 15:56:50

i got the same a refund but did nothing about it was a speeding fine thought i did not get the fine that why it was refunded but today got court summons for not paying the find even dow i paid it did this happen anyone else and what did ye do thanks

jojo404314 Tue 27-Oct-15 11:21:17

I have just been on the phone to the Fixed Penalty Office to clarify what it was and it seems that even though I paid for my speeding fine (which was the £100) back in July, they have refunded it because I didn't send my license off which I would have done if it was made clearer. Even the e-mail receipt for the payment didn't mention anything about sending of my license so it's not, in my opinion, particularly helpful - especially as it looks like I'm not the only one this has happened to. What is happening now is that they are sending my conviction on to the courts as I haven't adhered to what they have requested and they will make a decision as to what fine and penalty points I am to pay now! Obviously it will be more than the initial fine. Apparently if you plead guilty when they send you the summons and mention the reason as to why they may take it into account but I expect it depends on which Court it is being sent to. Hope that helps. Let me know how you get on. I shall be eagerly waiting for my summons :/

Collaborate Wed 28-Oct-15 13:30:00

They must issue the summons within 6 months of the offence. Has it been more than 6 months?

Rocco2015 Thu 17-Dec-15 16:20:53

Has anyone had a court hearing about this matter? I had the same thing happen to me.. I paid the £100 and was so happy that i could deal with it that way. Then few months later i had a summons to court for the speeding, i wrote a letter explaining how i was sure i had paid the fine but cant find any record on my accounts so then started to doubt myself! Today iv had a credit card statement showing they refunded the money the same day they sent out the summons! angry also today iv had another summons to court as they are thinking about disqualifying me from driving because of previous points! As i can see i was supposed to send my licence aswell as the fine but like youve all said the letter did not say that. Im so annoyed and now worried! Got bank statements to take to court as proof of paying the fine but is this even going to help me!? Someone please let me know thier outcome! Thankyou

AGNIEZ Sun 03-Jan-16 09:44:04

SAME here I got a traffic offense tiKET last July, paid it, and just now see 100
refund😀
what is going ??? anybody knows

MooseTrap Sun 03-Jan-16 09:47:28

Ohh, I heard something about this on the radio recently but I can't remember the details. I think it might have been on Money Box or one of Martin Lewis's show....or maybe You and Yours. I'll have a think..

Keith1322 Mon 04-Jan-16 16:56:17

Just checked my bank and I've been refunded £100 from HM GOV ,now reading a few post on here I am assuming it's from a speeding fine I paid a couple of months ago,can anyone confirm this is the case and what happens now?.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now