Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Changing name officially...

(5 Posts)
TailorMouse Tue 30-Dec-14 15:39:00

Planning on ttc soon but want to change my surname prior to this - dp and I aren't and are not planning to get married (not sure if relevant / having a marriage certificate changes process).
Had a look online but a bit confused - how do I change it so it's my new official surname all above board etc?
I think it's around £100something plus costs of passport / driving licence etc.
Do I have to visit a solicitor to do this & can they sort everything that needs to be changed or do I need to contact dvla etc myself?
Any guidance really appreciated so I only have to do this all the once!
Thank you smile

titchy Tue 30-Dec-14 15:58:15

Google free deed poll. Won't cost you a penny.

meditrina Tue 30-Dec-14 16:03:06

Before you start TTC, if you have not already read up on the legal differences between marriage and cohabitation then you really need to. Unless all major assets are already in your name, and you will not be taking a career break or anything else that has an impact on your earning capacity. It is better to get your legal and financial arrangements sorted to whatever level of security you are happy with before the DC exist.

<steps down from somewhat tangential soap box>

TailorMouse Tue 30-Dec-14 17:53:08

Thank you for the replies smile
Googling seems to have a few different things come up and differs from what the gov.co.uk site reads regarding how 'official' it is...hence asking for some clarification!
We're currently renting and have no major assets but will be putting things in place for anything we do have when we have dcs if we split (have seen the ugly side of break ups, and understand i'm less protected if not married so will sort something and any future houses etc will be in both names).

WrappedInABlankie Tue 30-Dec-14 18:08:32

www.freedeedpoll.org.uk

That's it, fill it in, print a couple of copies on plain a4, send them the bank, work etc and you're done

It's free, no reason why you should pay at all. It's the sight I used for me and my son

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now