Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Household item broken - what to do?

(20 Posts)
AyeWhySWIM Tue 23-Dec-14 20:43:06

We have discovered a household electrical item has been broken in our home after being used by someone employed to do work using it today. They admit to using it but deny all knowledge of it being broken. What do I do?

26Point2Miles Tue 23-Dec-14 20:44:24

Insurance?

AyeWhySWIM Tue 23-Dec-14 20:58:02

Sorry, being thick, our insurance? Paying the excess will be painful at the moment hmm
Aggravates me that I can't hold them to account or warn others off.

Quangle Tue 23-Dec-14 21:01:33

I'm struggling to imagine a situation where this would not be in the normal run of events. Household items do break after all. Do you have reason to think the person concerned was using it in an odd way?

AyeWhySWIM Tue 23-Dec-14 21:06:33

So you'd have someone working in your house and fully expect to come home to find the equipment they'd been using (value approx £300+) was broken beyond repair and not be annoyed about it? Different matter if it had been admitted openly.

prh47bridge Tue 23-Dec-14 23:48:55

You can make a claim in the small claims court for the cost of repair or, if it is irreparable, the value of the item (not the original purchase price - its current value given its condition prior to being broken). However, if you don't have any evidence that it was broken due to this person's negligence you are unlikely to win.

AlpacaMyBags Tue 23-Dec-14 23:51:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sanfairyanne Wed 24-Dec-14 00:45:25

is it broken irrepairably? is it under warranty? was it broken by accident? is it possible to use it then it breaks afterwards?
really, an outside contractor should have their own insurance, an employee perhaps it is the employer who should have insurance?

peggyundercrackers Wed 24-Dec-14 00:58:37

Sometimes things do break for no apparent reason, it might just be a coincidence that someone else has been using it but it does seem a bit unlikely that they didn't break it. As you have no proof I guess you will need to suck it up.

26Point2Miles Wed 24-Dec-14 10:06:10

Things break!! Yes!! Claim on your household insurance if it's that important, it's what it's there for

What were you hoping to be told?

Middleagedmotheroftwo Wed 24-Dec-14 10:14:50

How broken is it? What is it? In what way is it broken and when is the last time you used it and can you be absolutely sure it wasn't broken before she used it?

Middleagedmotheroftwo Wed 24-Dec-14 10:16:03

I mean, if its just stopped working - then that's what things do. However, if it's been dropped or something, then that's different.

HoHonutty Wed 24-Dec-14 10:21:22

It depends what it is.

bryonyelf Wed 24-Dec-14 14:00:45

Hey may have used it but there is no evidence they broke it. It might just have stopped working. A bit like our washing machine recently. Worked one day didn't the next.

glammanana Wed 24-Dec-14 14:12:32

Did you give him permission to use the item if you did then the balls in your court I think,the only way is through your own contents insurance as the blokes insurance will not pay out if it does not belong to him,can he not say it belongs to him on his own insurance or was it a favour from a friend sort of job.?

GahBuggerit Wed 24-Dec-14 14:24:06

why was it being used? did what you hired them to do require this item to complete the work? if so why not use their own? did they ask permission? more info needed.

LIZS Wed 24-Dec-14 14:32:15

think you need to be a bit more explicit. Does the employee/contractor have any liability insurance . Is it really worth the cost of pursuing?

AngelDreams Thu 08-Jan-15 15:34:57

without saying what the item is, and how the damage 'looks' like it occured, i dont think you will be able to get any help/advise here

102030 Fri 09-Jan-15 00:28:44

We're they trained to use the equipment properly? Is there an employment contract that covers this type of thing? Or are they self employed? If they are self employed are they really self employed?? A lot of cleaners, for example, should probably be employees confused iykwim

What is the damage? Is it damage arising from its use or is it really careless damage?

I've had cleaners for years and things do get broken. I take the view that I would break things if I was doing the cleaning. I wouldn't like it if there were sneaky about it though. sad

102030 Fri 09-Jan-15 00:29:08

Typo. They not there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now