Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Picture of my house on a website

(7 Posts)
MrsFogi Tue 16-Dec-14 10:18:08

A local company has a picture of my house on their website (to show off their work they did a while back). Dear mners do you think I can ask for it to be removed? Not least because their handiwork has turned out to be terrible and they are refusing to come back and even look at it.

prh47bridge Tue 16-Dec-14 10:36:37

Are you taking legal action against them for the poor quality of their work?

Tell them that unless they remove the picture you will tell the local press about the problems.

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Tue 16-Dec-14 10:39:28

Press and trading standards as they are claiming that their work is wonderful and using you as a reference, which is pretty much 'obtaining money by deception', so illegal IIRC.

Collaborate Tue 16-Dec-14 11:21:50

I'd also query with the Information commissioner if I were you to see if they've breached the data protection act, though check any written terms and conditions in case it says there that they can take and publish photos.

bananapickle84 Tue 16-Dec-14 11:24:37

Did you sign something when they did the work that allowed them to use photos of their work? We have been getting quotes recently for work and they've all asked if they can use photos of the work for publicity.
The poor work is another matter I think.

APlaceInTheWinter Tue 16-Dec-14 11:29:02

I think it's perfectly fine to ask for the photos to be removed whether you can demand they are removed depends on a few other factors eg

If they are internal photos showing their work then check any contract you agreed, as it could have a clause allowing photos to be taken and used in subsequent portfolios. If it's an external photo then my understanding is that you don't have the right to prohibit external images of your home. It's still worth asking.

Lady it doesn't say they're implying a reference. They could just be showcasing their work and if they're disputing the Op's complaint then there isn't a breach of trading standards.

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Tue 16-Dec-14 13:30:08

If it's implying that they have done work on the house to the standard where the householder is happy for them to use their house to advertise their work, it maybe enticing people to use their services under false pretences, APlaceInTheWinter. I'd say this was a trading standards issue, it's enticing people to use them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now