Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

business supplier refusing to supply after many years

(3 Posts)
davejudgement Tue 09-Dec-14 19:25:03

I design products and use three different suppliers.

I send the orders to one particular company in UK who then process order and send onto a factory in China. Each order typically takes 8 weeks to make.

The company is one of the largest in the market in the UK.

The products I order are paid for in full the day before they dispatch orders ( they dispatch two days each month, 10th & 25th ). The designs have to be submitted 5 working days prior these dates to allow for processing.

I submitted 3 orders by post on 21st November, knowing they would be dispatched 10th December.

On 2nd December, I was asked for payment in full on 3rd December. When I questioned this they told me that they needed payments cleared a 5 full working days in advance of dispatch.

A discussion via email ensued where I argued that they hadn't required this in the past and could they assist me with allowing me to pay on 9th for dispatch on 10th then moving forward, as I was now aware of new payment terms I would pay 5 working days in advance of dispatch date.

They flatly refused, I then asked for their 'gold service' which would for an extra £160 + VAT, the orders would go within 24 hours of payment.

I said I would pay for gold service on 9th so they would be sent on 10th, at which point they refused to make the products for me anymore because of my attitude and fear of a problem occurring in the future. I have had only 2 issues with a product in the past, one was their fault & one was mine - both were resolved with no problem.

They returned my order forms to me the following day.

The products are very specific. I have been a customer for over 8 years.

I can order the products via a different supplier, though there may be a slight difference as I always use this supplier for these orders for my customers - who cannot go without the product. There is also now a delay as I organise an alternative.

I have a stock account with them ( whereby they supply from ready made stock ). They have offered to keep this open which I accepted in writing as closure of this would cause my business serious problems at this time.

I have always kept all payments to this company up to date

Can they just refuse supply after so many years and not informing me of new payment procedures as they arise?

TIA

Hoppinggreen Fri 12-Dec-14 21:38:40

No expert but I would think that any supplier can refuse your business as long as it's not on discriminatory grounds.

WeAllHaveWings Fri 12-Dec-14 22:53:00

Unless you have a contract with them, yes they can refuse. Very risky having a single source and no contract.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now