Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Fathers rights not on birth certificate?

(10 Posts)
christmasmammy Mon 08-Dec-14 12:27:40

Hi,

The father of my baby is a violent and abusive alcoholic and I do not want my baby anywhere near him.

Can somebody tell me what rights he has to the child if he isn't on the birth certificate?

Thank you.

CatsCantTwerk Mon 08-Dec-14 12:33:07

If he is the Dad and you do not put him on the birth certificate, he can still take you to court to demand a dna test and would be granted pr by the court if he was the father.

Has he been violent and aggressive to Your Baby?

christmasmammy Mon 08-Dec-14 12:40:51

The baby has not been born yet, I left the father when I found out I was pregnant as he was very volatile. (he had even attacked his own father)
I have had to have police involvement throughout my pregnancy and they have advised i take an injunction out to keep him away from me.

vanillabird Mon 08-Dec-14 12:42:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 08-Dec-14 12:43:13

It isnt about his rights, its about the babys rights to have access to and a relationship with their parent.

In this instance, get the injunction, but a court may insist on supervused access at a contact centre.

christmasmammy Mon 08-Dec-14 14:31:38

The thing is I'm almost certain he doesn't want the baby. it's just another way for him to hurt and control me.
He didn't want to spend any of 'his' money on baby when we were together and did not want to look after baby so I could work on an evening, or do any night feeds. He said that was mothers job, yet now is doing anything he can to try and get at me.

vanillabird Tue 09-Dec-14 11:31:35

Chunderella Tue 09-Dec-14 18:09:40

Bugger all while he's not on the bc but as Cats said, if he is so inclined to take you to court and do a DNA test to prove paternity he will be put on the bc.

This is wrong. There are no guarantees he'll get PR even if he does do all this, so the right word to use here is 'may' not 'will'. It's certainly a possibility OP, I'm afraid. I would say if he applies, looks vaguely committed and manages to do a reasonable impression of being interested in the child and not you, he's likely to be successful. But these are all big 'ifs' and there are plenty of dads who go to court and never get PR.

What you can do is start lining up all your ducks now. You want an official paper trail confirming the DV- so tell your midwife, GP and consider discussing with police if you've not already. This will be helpful in proving what he's like, and could also qualify you for a legal aid lawyer if he does apply, depending on your income.

vanillabird Tue 09-Dec-14 21:14:15

Chunderella Tue 09-Dec-14 21:56:24

That's very sweet! They do usually get it, yeah, but not always. Being able to evidence the DV could well help. If he gets his shit together enough to apply, OP will want to have as much evidence as possible that his motivations aren't genuine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now