Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

House advice

(7 Posts)
operaha Mon 01-Dec-14 11:58:38

I considered doing a "reverse" for this as I dont want anyone to think I am a scorned new partner. I want this completely looked at from a legal view - I am not standing to gain anything here (which should become apparent).
My dp is terrible at dealing with important things.
He and his ex (not wife) split a few years ago. 2 DC.
They owned a house that due to inheritance she paid a whopping great chunk of and then they had a small mortgage (think £30kish) that he solely paid off while she was a sahm.
He just hasnt done anything about it and now doesnt know where to start.
He wants to find out if he's entitled to anything as he wants to put money away for the dc's future (the ex definitely wont do this - again not bitter here - she has previous).
My own house is secure, I do not want his money - I am genuinely trying to help him find advice.
An initial solicitors appointment is quite a lot and because the matter seems to be property rather than family, he cant get a free consultation.

Does it sound like its worth pursuing for him?

operaha Mon 01-Dec-14 11:59:15

Oh and by "new partner" I mean 2 years - theyve been split 3.5!

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 01-Dec-14 13:34:43

Is he on the deeds?
Did they create a deed of trust when they bought the property?

operaha Mon 01-Dec-14 15:10:13

He is on the deeds yes.
As far as I can work out if he wanted to force a sale and take a bigger cut - he could as it doesnt matter who put what in originally.
he would never ever do that. He doesnt want that, he just wants what he's entitled to for his children. Which I know sounds a bit skewed as he's taking out of the house that he lives in. Its complicated sighs

operaha Mon 01-Dec-14 15:10:35

*that they live in even.

MrsSquirrel Tue 02-Dec-14 10:29:39

Who lives in the house?

Does the ex have any money? Or is he just thinking of selling the property and splitting the proceeds?

Graciescotland Tue 02-Dec-14 10:43:10

I think it does matter who put in what especially as they weren't married. I think it depends how they ought it as tenants in common or as joint tenants?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now