Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Phone company and expired contract help please

(14 Posts)
BaffledSomeMore Sun 30-Nov-14 20:42:26

I had a contract mobile phone on a contract that finished in mid September. I spoke to them to get the PAC number and told them I wasn't renewing. All fairly ordinary so far.
Except they are still billing me. And because I cancelled the dd they are attempting to collect extra money for running the account as a non-dd account.
The online bill shows the old contract btw.
I have spoken to them but thus far got nowhere.
I have used the PAC number so they haven't operated the number since the day the contract ran out.
Am I correct that they don't have a leg to stand on with regard to getting money out of me?
The last person I spoke to lectured me on their internal processes for cancellation and they couldn't grasp that firstly their internal processes aren't my problem and secondly the contract ended anyway.

Collaborate Sun 30-Nov-14 23:51:28

Who were you with? I'm about to use a PAC number with O2 and was told that the moment it's used will be when my contract with them comes to an end.

BaffledSomeMore Mon 01-Dec-14 00:05:58

Was TalkTalk. I believed the same hence timing it for exact end of contract as well as telling them.

You'll probably be fine. It all worked OK last two times I moved company and ported my number smile

MirandaWest Mon 01-Dec-14 00:15:07

When did you cancel the contract? I think you generally need to give thirty days notice and even when the contract is over you keep paying unless you cancel (the phone companies obvious want this inertia to happen as it's how they make their money). If you did cancel mid September you should then have paid until mid October - did that happen?

BaffledSomeMore Mon 01-Dec-14 00:21:53

I cancelled in mid September 5 days before contract expired. Paid dd on Oct 2nd and balance was £0.
Current bill is for >30 days after cancellation and > 70 days after contract end.

BaffledSomeMore Mon 01-Dec-14 00:23:17

Sorry well beyond 30 days after cancellation. The billing period starts >30 days after cancellation.

PandaNot Mon 01-Dec-14 00:27:53

If it's talktalk, get onto twitter. I tried phone calls and emails and got nowhere in a month. All sorted in 48hrs once I took to twitter!

Picturesinthefirelight Mon 01-Dec-14 00:33:40

Talk Talk used to be Tiscali - right?

If so they tried that on us 10 years ago with our Internet.

scousadelic Mon 01-Dec-14 00:39:59

We are having problems with Talk Talk broadband which goes off 3-4 times per evening and I can tell you their customer service is shit. Twitter is probably a good idea as getting anyone on the phone who a) speaks English, b) has any relevant knowledge or c) gives a shit are less than zero

MrsSquirrel Mon 01-Dec-14 09:57:03

The advice from Ofcom is

1. Contact your provider�s customer services department and explain your problem.
2. If this doesn�t resolve the issue, make a formal complaint to the company. Do this in writing, so you have a record of what is said. TalkTalk's complaints procedure is here.
3. If your provider is unable to resolve your complaint, ask for a deadlock letter. This enables you to take your complaint to an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) scheme.

When I had problems before with another company, the written complaint did the trick after a couple of emails.

TranmereRover Mon 01-Dec-14 10:04:08

make sure it's in writing - so email with a read receipt & where you have a copy or keep a copy of letters sent, because they will of course say you never cancelled / wrote etc.

BaffledSomeMore Mon 01-Dec-14 10:41:42

scouse yes it's terrible!
panda I had to resort to Facebook to get anywhere with the pac. I cannot be bothered with having to sort this out.
Hence wondering if I can just ignore it! I obviously don't want to have to pay them anymore money.

BaffledSomeMore Mon 01-Dec-14 10:50:44

Sorry hadn't seen last 2 replies. Thank you.
I will mail a complaint in then I think. So frustrating as I'm not even a customer anymore.

TrendStopper Tue 02-Dec-14 11:39:31

Ignoring the bills is the worst idea. They believe you owe the money even though you dont but it won't stop them chasing you for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now