Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Tuition fees

(4 Posts)
MrsCosmopilite Sun 30-Nov-14 11:51:29

Hoping someone can advise on a reasonably trivial matter.
Firstly, I am an unwaged mature student. My fees are being paid from the money I accrued when I was working. There is very little left.

I am on a two year HE course. Due to the way terms run, I finish next march. Fees payable on enrollment.
I paid in September 2013 for the course, at the full price for which it was advertised.

I've now had a letter from the institution advising that the fees have increased for 2014-15, and because I paid in 2013, I have a shortfall of £40 to make up.

Is this right?

When I did another course with the same institution, it was prior to the main hike in tuition fees nationally. At that time, students who had enrolled and paid at the outset of two-year (or longer) courses were not asked to pay any additional fees.

I can't find anything definitive in the T's & C's - and their site is rather strangely laid out.

Surely if I paid for my course at the outset, that would be it?

InfinitySeven Sun 30-Nov-14 11:57:15

Usually once you're enrolled, any fee changes do not affect you. It would depend on your contract, though. What is the institution?

MrsCosmopilite Sun 30-Nov-14 13:04:39

It's a Higher Ed institution - University status but not University name.

Is it worth querying with them why they think I should by paying it?

Bluestocking Sun 30-Nov-14 13:09:07

It's totally worth querying it with them - HE institutions have been known to make mistakes, you know!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now