Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

McKenzie Friend... lost dad?

(10 Posts)
ginandtonic2003 Wed 26-Nov-14 10:21:23

My Ex had a mckenzie friend during a court case relating to contact which has now concluded.

He has now being sending letters to my home address. He got this either from the court papers or from my ex.

Is this in breach of court guidelines?

Isn't very intrusive and harassing.... Thanks

PotteringAlong Wed 26-Nov-14 10:24:34

The Mckenzie friend is contacting you? I'd report him to the police force he works for.

ginandtonic2003 Wed 26-Nov-14 10:55:14

yes he's been sending me letters (they are "from" my ex but ex lives abroad, they are unsigned and from the mckenzie friends franking mail machine... so don't think theres much doubt who sent them)....

CatsCantTwerk Wed 26-Nov-14 10:56:40

What kind of letters is he sending?

Collaborate Wed 26-Nov-14 14:38:03

Presumably the MF is sending you letters to do with the issues that remain between you and ex? If that's right, I'm not sure what your objection is.

DayLillie Wed 26-Nov-14 15:20:00

What are they about? Why are they unsigned - do they say who they are 'from' anywhere?

ginandtonic2003 Wed 26-Nov-14 16:21:52

Collaborate
Is it not a contempt of court to use confidential details from the family court for private correspondence (i.e. using my address)?
and a breach of the practise guidance that MF cant conducting the case including outside of the court?

DayLillie Wed 26-Nov-14 16:49:27

www.separateddads.co.uk/using-mckenzie-friend-court.html

HeadDoctor Wed 26-Nov-14 17:24:02

But the letters aren't from the McKenzie Friend? They're from your ex. The MF is merely printing and posting?

Greengrow Wed 26-Nov-14 18:13:50

Why is it any different from a solicitor sending them? It is still the communciatinos from your ex about the case. Does it matter whose franking machine was used or if the representative types or advised on the letter or even signed and sent it if he had instructions from your ex? Lots of people use others to do things for them in life from powers of attorney to appointments of solicitors and accountants.

If there were a court order on your ex saying he must not disclose your address to anyone including anyone acting for him as MF then yes it could be a breach of that.

I suppose possibly passing your address to the MF without your consent might be a breach of the Data Protection Act but I doubt it as it is for litigation and legal purposes and is not too different (except for absolute absence of any legal obligations of confidentiality or codes of conduct I suppose with an MF) from a solicitor being told here is my husband's address, write him a letter. So there may be a case there if your address getting out could damage you somehow. That must be an interesting point when you use an MF not a solicitor. Presumably it would be best to get an MF to sign a confidentiality agreement as they do not have the implied confidentiality lawyers have.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now