Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Private landlord problem

(9 Posts)
Princessjonsie Tue 25-Nov-14 03:17:52

I moved to Scotland 4 years ago and decided to rent out my property.i was approached by a friend and asked if I would consider helping out a single mum in need. She was living in dreadful conditions with two small children and needed out. I met her and she seemed really nice . I said I would help her and let her rent the property. I let her move in with no security deposit, and I left a lot of furniture as she had none. I rent it below market value so she can afford it and advised her I just want her to look after the place and pay the rent and live quietly as it's a nice family neighbourhood. As long as she did these things the.n she had a home for as long as we were away which was going to be long term. Im a good landlord. I am available to her 24/7. I complete repairs and problems within 48hrs in most case and it's only longer if I can't get workman to call. She Is on The whole a good tenant. She pays the rent on time and keeps the house in an ok state ( not my personal standard but each to there own). Since moving in she has asked if 5 boyfriends can move in and each time I have said yes as long as they behave themselves. I won't put them on the tenancy as I feel if there is a problem she is protected and it makes it easier to get them out. When she does not have a boyfriend there we communicate well and have a friendly relationship . When a boyfriend is there this stops and she will only communicate through the boy friend. Recently she asked if another boyfriend could move along with his twin girls. I agreed under the usual agreement. Since he moved in he is a pain. He contacts me at all hours over the most stupid things ( the neighbour has there tv on to aloud and can I ask her to turn it down), if I don't reply in 15 mins he contacts my elderly mum and pours out the problem to her. The most worrying is the neighbours are reporting that the police are there every Saturday night. My question is what can I do. Do I A: leave them to it. It's none if my business b: approach her and say it has to stop or he will have to go c: say it has to stop it she will have to go or d; do it in writing and make it a formal warning ? As there are now 4 small children involved I don't want her to end up in unsuitable situation but I can't have the police at the property all the time. I called the police who advised it was domestic reasons .

SavoyCabbage Tue 25-Nov-14 04:24:13

What a situation. I would speak to her as it sounds like you have a good relationship.

You are putting yourself in a vulnerable position by not having a deposit!

When my tenant moved grr boyfriend in, I put him on the tenancy as you have more people to chase if things go wrong.

twizzleship Wed 26-Nov-14 18:00:39

why are you letting her 'boyfriends' talk on her behalf? They are not on the tenancy, she is the tenant and liaising with you is her responsibility. She doesn't sound very stable mentally and you're enabling her being abused by these men by allowing the men in her life to take control once they move in.

i'd speak to her and say that his behavior is unacceptable, regards the constant phone calls and ringing your mum - that is bordering on harassment and it has to stop. Tell her you've been informed about the regular police visits and the disturbance they are causing. I'd be telling her that you've changed your mind about him living there and boot him out. If she doesn't like it then i'd be suggesting to her that she either sorts herself out or finds somewhere else to live.

You've put yourself at a disadvantage by not having a deposit. i know you were being kind hearted and generous but by the sounds of it she isn't keeping the house to a decent cleanliness standard, and should your house and furniture get trashed or broken you could possibly be out of pocket by thousands.

LIZS Wed 26-Nov-14 18:06:13

agree you should only talk to the tenant not random bfs and she to you not your dm. Agreements normally state that the neighbours are not to be disturbed and it sounds as if this is a problem, so you codul warn on this basis but the risk is he reacts badly.

specialsubject Wed 03-Dec-14 13:05:35

block his number and turn your mobile off at night. (hope they don't have the landline number) Why on earth does he have your mum's number? Get his calls blocked from her.

check your malicious damage and legal expenses insurance NOW.

as this is is the sixth random sex partner to be moved in in four years, the effect on the children is terrifying - but there's nothing you can do about that.

write to her saying that if he is to stay, all this nonsense has to stop. Only she is the tenant and you only talk to her. And if he is staying longer than it takes to get bored with having sex with her then you want a deposit (to protect) and references for him. I'd be nervous about putting him on the tenancy without that.

Princessjonsie Tue 30-Dec-14 04:43:49

The reason he has my mums number is that we went on holiday for two weeks last September and wanted to leave her a point of contact in case of problems and she must have kept it. She will not speak to me when a boyfriend is in the picture it's part of her mental illness. Just an update since posting. She ended up in hospital, not due to anything he did I checked by pretending to be her sister, and made a huge scene at the hospital apparently. When she came home he threatened to kill himself as he couldn't live without her and implied he would take her with him so she called his case worker who came with the police and had him sectioned. He has now moved out the property and won't be coming back. Told her if he come to the property again even to visit ( if she is that stupid to have him back later) then it's game over and she has to go. She seems to understand but time will tell. I feel sorry for his two small twin girls who for some weird reason are in his custody who have been shipped from pillar to post. They moved in and have now moved out to there grandparents. I'm lucky I don't live in this world and never have . I have had a good if not hard life but have always been able to cope with help from friends and family. It must be exhausting to deal with this level of mental illness on a day to day basis. Hope she heeds the warning but she is a big girl and not really my responsibility . I'm her landlord not her social worker and I must remember that sometimes

NorwaySpruce Tue 30-Dec-14 04:58:50

You phoned the hospital and pretended to be her sister!?

You seem to have issues of your own, landlords generally don't take such an interest in their tennants. She isn't some kind of pet project. shock

I'd take several steps back, and remember this is supposed to be a professional business arrangement.

Is the property is Scotland? Because lack of a security deposit in England could see you in a whole heap of trouble if you ever have to start eviction proceedings.

SugarOnTop Mon 05-Jan-15 11:40:37

i think you need to emotionally detach from her and treat her like any other tenant - otherwise YOU will be taken for a ride. This is a prime example:

She will not speak to me when a boyfriend is in the picture it's part of her mental illness

i would tell her in no uncertain terms that making compromises for her private life is NOT your responsibility. She is a TENANT - even when IN a relationship. if she cannot function as a tenant with regards the communication when she has a boyfriend then tell her to find somewhere else to live. Or even better - tell her you will not allow anyone else to move in - if she doesn't like that then she can move. i know lots of people with MH issues - some quite serious - and none of them have EVER used their mental illness as an excuse for dodging responsibility.

you HAVE to emotionally detach, she's got you wrapped around her little finger - don't be fooled that just because she has MH issues that she cannot be deliberately manipulative and sneaky.

specialsubject Tue 06-Jan-15 20:20:01

time to cut your losses. Get advice on issuing a section 21 to start the process of ending this tenancy. Make sure you have met all your responsibilities as a landlord.

she's going to do this again.

as I mentioned; I hope you have legal expenses and malicious damage insurance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now