Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Driving on private land

(18 Posts)
SauvignonBlanche Mon 24-Nov-14 19:14:03

I believe you can drive on private land, such as a supermarket car park without a driving licence?

In the unlikely event of an accident I asume you wouldn't be covered by insurance but is driving without insurance on private land legal?

FrauHelgaMissMarpleandaChuckle Mon 24-Nov-14 19:19:02

I don't think it's legal in a supermarket car park - if the general public have access to it then it's not the same as driving in a field owned by a farmer, for eg.

youmakemydreams Mon 24-Nov-14 19:54:00

It has to be actual private land to which the public have no access so no you cannot drive in a supermarket car park.

SauvignonBlanche Mon 24-Nov-14 20:03:49

OK, thank you, I've been a bad girl then. blush

I'm currently without a licence and I drove (very carefully) from one side of Waitrose car park to the other to pick up DH, who is on crutches at the moment. I won't do it again.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 24-Nov-14 20:08:27

Did your dh then drive home? Is he covered by his insurance if he's on crutches?

SauvignonBlanche Mon 24-Nov-14 20:11:48

Yes he is, he's injured his left leg and is driving an automatic. He's doing all the driving at the moment, has taken 1 DC to a piano lesson and another to Karate whilst I've just sat and MN'd.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 24-Nov-14 20:21:29

Ah ok, never thought about an automatic. grin

SauvignonBlanche Mon 24-Nov-14 20:24:24

We'd be stuck without it, he wouldn't be able to get back to work tomorrow and would be off sick with me getting under my feet. smile

HerrenaHarridan Mon 24-Nov-14 20:26:35

I thought the thing with driving in private land was that you had to have permission from the land owner so if waitrose have you permission grin

HeartHasShattered Mon 24-Nov-14 20:29:12

Yep, permission from the owner and an area with no public access.

Expedititition Mon 24-Nov-14 20:38:04

There can't be any members of the public there. If you cause them injury then you aren't insured.

A farmer's field can't do anyone any harm and if you smash your car and a farmer's fence then it's his and your choice.

BrightestBulbinBox Mon 24-Nov-14 20:55:34

can he put weight on his leg and walk a short distance in a specific time (if asked by a police officer if he was in an accident?) did your insurance specifically say it was ok?

I was told by our insurance I wasn't covered while my left leg was in a cast (driving automatic) as I couldn't put any weight on my leg. there is a section in the Highway Code about being able to walk x length in under x time to demonstrate you are in full control of your vehicle, etc. but I can't find the link.

SilverViking Mon 24-Nov-14 21:05:53

BrightestBB, not sure you are correct, because some people who can't walk can still legitimately drive
- eg wheelchair users.

Monathevampire1 Mon 24-Nov-14 21:11:46

A car park is a place the public have access to and the road traffic act applies. No licence and no insurance whoops!

Greengrow Mon 24-Nov-14 21:16:28

I live on a private estate and we all own the roads. I have always assumed you could drive around here without a licence (although it would not be wise as if you hit someone you'd have to pay and also the car insurance of the insured person almost certainly will say only the named drivers (who presumably all have licences) are the only ones allowed to drive the car).

SauvignonBlanche Mon 24-Nov-14 21:21:56

BrightestBulbinBox, DH's GP said he was OK to drive, are you sure you have not been misinformed?

prh47bridge Mon 24-Nov-14 21:48:33

You cannot be prosecuted for driving without a licence if you drive in a supermarket car park as it is not a proper road. You can, however, be prosecuted for driving without insurance. The supermarket may also be unhappy with people driving without a licence on their land.

LurkingHusband Tue 25-Nov-14 00:06:50

The law is a strange and mysterious land, and as such, sometimes defines the words it uses - in which case it's the "legal" definition which matters as opposed to the "normal" definition.

(The reverse is also true. If a law uses words it doesn't define, then courts have to use the "accepted" usage, rather than a specific usage).

With regards to driving, "Private" has a very narrow meaning. From memory (I once knew) it's land which the public CANNOT access, except by crossing a barrier. This is very important, as it's a fundamental factor in the offence of drink driving ... you can still be prosecuted if you're drunk on a public highway - which includes a highway the public could have accessed, despite being privately owned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now