Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Council tax arrears

(16 Posts)
SoWorriedandStressed Sun 23-Nov-14 13:32:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LIZS Sun 23-Nov-14 13:39:06

have you made a counter offer ? It is a high priority debt and could have serious consequences so you do need to deal with it ideally before it goes to court. Most judges would look at whether you have offered to pay .

ArsenicSoup Sun 23-Nov-14 13:43:33

Why can DP not claim? NRTPF?

Do you rent or pay mortgage?

Have you claimed Council Tax Support and Housing Benefit?

LIZS Sun 23-Nov-14 13:49:43

try calling StepChange tomorrow too , they can review your entitlements and advise re debt. Do you have any other creditors ?

SoWorriedandStressed Sun 23-Nov-14 13:56:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SoonToBeSix Sun 23-Nov-14 14:00:05

You will still have to pay some council tax it used to be all covered whilst in certain benefits but not any more.

SoWorriedandStressed Sun 23-Nov-14 14:01:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ArsenicSoup Sun 23-Nov-14 14:06:29

I see. Well that makes it simpler. How much do you think you can afford?

a2011x Sun 23-Nov-14 14:08:29

Council tax is second to rent in priority. I have unfortunately been through the same thing and although it's different councils as far as I have worked out through this time they don't have to accept anything other than the full balance. For them to offer you a payment plan is brilliant and if I was you I would take it with open arms. Even if you have to save a little bit per week or really budget on food or something. The only other thing is once you go to court I think you are then able to arrange affordable payment plans, at least my council (who i have little faith in) told me the only way they would help me or offer repayment plans was to go through court first. Speak to a debt charity and see if there's anything less priority you can put on back burner while you sort out this situations. Even if you can get your gas and electric down £10 a month or call everyone you pay each month to see if they would accept a small amount less, obviously some you cannot change but you will be surprised at the amount of companies who will take a little amount less each month so they don't risk you not paying at all. Seek advice but try not to worry it sounds as though your council have been quite helpful. They may even be a little bit more helpful, I find it best to ring with the same query several times until you find a really nice person, it works! Good luck to you!! X

Monathevampire1 Sun 23-Nov-14 14:10:04

OP your DP should claim JSA as soon as possible, they will tell him if he qualifies or not. Also have a look at the Turn2us web site, their calculator is very helpful.
You need to prepare and income/expenditure spreadsheet and submit htis with a counter offer, the CAB may be able to help you with this.

ArsenicSoup Sun 23-Nov-14 14:10:49

Start paying whatever you can afford now and write to them telling them this (how much, how often, that it is the most you can afford) and that you are seeking further advice. Send it recorded delivery or send an extra copy via email.

It sounds as though they are trying to get repayment before the end of the financial year (20 weeks/ 5 months), which is a fairly standard starting position, but there will be room for movement. Your over-riding concern is to demonstrate that you are doing the best you can and have evidence of this that you could show to a judge if it came to that.

strawberryblondebint Sun 23-Nov-14 14:15:03

Ok I work in council tax. Personally I would accept any arrangements that would ensure the balance is paid by the end of this financial year I.e March. If you explained your predicament I'm sure they would help. I would.

SoWorriedandStressed Sun 23-Nov-14 14:32:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ArsenicSoup Sun 23-Nov-14 14:34:48

Just say 'review at the end of feb to see if we can afford to increase payments'.

Just in case.

SoWorriedandStressed Sun 23-Nov-14 14:37:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ContentedSidewinder Fri 28-Nov-14 10:49:02

There is always a push for payments to be finished before the end of the financial year because you will be getting a new bill for the new financial year and it is always more expensive than the previous year.

When I worked in council tax we helped those we could as much as we could, guidelines were last payments in by the end of February but if a person is showing willing ie making payments whatever they may be then we would accept a payment arrangement into March, especially for weekly payers.

The main thing with council tax is even if you haven't go the full payment amount for that month on normal billing is to pay what you can towards it and contact them.

I was lovely smile and happy to help try to spread the cost out over 12 months if I could.

It is when there are no payments coming in, no contact until court summons stage where so much time has passed and we could have sorted you out. You sit there worrying and we wonder why no-one has contacted us.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: