Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Qualifying for Legal Aid in Scotland, 'Spending' It In England ?

(3 Posts)
carolinem99 Tue 11-Nov-14 16:53:02

My STBXH has recently moved to Scotland and qualifies for legal aid advice and assistance under the Scottish Legal Aid Board rules (he is claiming income based Employment & Support Allowance).

However, he is continuing to use his original English solicitor to progress divorce and child arrangements matters.

Despite his eligibility to legal aid in Scotland, will he have to pay the English solicitor or would he be able to 'spend' his legal aid with the English solicitor?

Just trying to get a feel for how much this is costing him/not costing him to try to anticipate how difficult he is likely to be and how long he may drag things on for.

bryonyelf Sat 15-Nov-14 11:57:38

I think he will have to pay the English solicitor. Although we are the Uk they both have very different legal systems. For example a scottish solicitor couldn't represent in an English court of law - I don't think anyway.

Collaborate Sat 15-Nov-14 14:46:00

Scottish legal aid will not fund advice in England, and vice versa.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: