Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Any Family Solicitors about please? Quick question....

(2 Posts)
stinkywinky Mon 10-Nov-14 18:43:30


I'm looking to take my daughter on a short break to Scotland and my solicitor has told me that I need my ex-husband's consent for this.

However, from reading the Abduction of Children Act 1984 it looks to me as though I only need his permission if I intend to leave the United Kingdom. I understand that I am taking our daughter out of the jurisdiction of England & Wales but the Act seems clearly to state that I may take her to Scotland or Northern Ireland without my ex's consent.

Have I completely got the wrong end of the stick or am I ok to take her to Scotland so long as we don't leave the UK? It is only for four days and doesn't interfere with his contact!

I'd be really grateful if anyone could help me smile

cadno Mon 10-Nov-14 22:47:30

Is there a Court order to say that you can't take your daughter out of the jurisdiction of E&W, without father's consent ?

As you say, you wouldn't be committing a child abduction offence. Ask your solicitor why they have given you this advice. Sounds to me as if s/he might be mistaken.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: