Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Contractors employed by the council - what can we do about shoddy/incomplete work?

(5 Posts)
Badvoc123 Fri 07-Nov-14 18:43:19

Hi,
I will try to keep this short!
My recently bereaved Mum is buying her council house. Application accepted at the beginning of may. Solicitor instructed, survey done. Cash purchase, no mortgage needed.
Sadly things seem to have gone wrong sad
A contractor employed by the council did some remedial work to the house under the govt "decent homes scheme" last November.
The house had a new roof and insulation and new exterior doors.
It was a nightmare sad
The workmen were rude, made a complete mess and the work done was shoddy.
The main issues are;
Missing roof tile, incomplete fascia to front of the house and - more worryingly - the loft was not insulated. We didn't find this out until the EPC was done on Monday.
The insulation material was in mums front garden...I saw it! But it was obv not used.
It's now 7 months since the contractor promised to remedy the issues.
Getting nowhere with the council.
Have written to my mp who to his credit did contact the council but it has had no effect.
What can I do?
Have the council broken any laws?
Mum is getting very upset and I am at a loss to understand what the problem is.

Viviennemary Fri 07-Nov-14 18:49:22

I know somebody who had new central heating put in under a scheme for the elderly. They made a real mess and didn't do what they were supposed to do and it was a nightmare to sort out. I know it's not the same thing.

I think I'd find out how much it would cost to put it right and then think about the small claims court. Don't know what the level of payout is though. You could try citizens advice bureau.

Badvoc123 Fri 07-Nov-14 19:15:04

Trouble is we need the council to sign off in the work, and get guarantees before mum buys.
It's a nightmare sad

Viviennemary Fri 07-Nov-14 19:54:06

Sorry I misunderstood. I thought the sale had gone through. Can she not renegotiate the price and then pay to have the work done. It sounds like a nightmare. I wonder if it's because it's not really in the Council's interest to sell off the houses so they aren't bothered at all whether it goes through or not. Hope it gets sorted out soon.

Badvoc123 Fri 07-Nov-14 19:57:11

They seem quite keen on selling them off tbh...
No idea what's going on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now