Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Public liability questions

(5 Posts)
christmasclean Fri 07-Nov-14 09:39:54

I'm already employed but thinking of selling my own photography prints at markets and fairs . I've done some googling so would I need both insurance and a licence and what's the difference?
If sold stuff in my husbands shop would his licence etc cover me or would I need my own?
As for registering with the it a lot of people are saying how simple the process is but I don't understand if I was selling on a stall hoe do I declare/ legally prove what I sold/early?

christmasclean Fri 07-Nov-14 09:40:55

Registering with IR NOT it

christmasclean Fri 07-Nov-14 09:42:06

Earned not early... Sorry I'm using my phone app

firesidechat Fri 07-Nov-14 10:43:35

Ok, a few pointers for you.

Public Liability Insurance - you don't need it by law, but I would definitely get it. Some craft fair organisers will only let you sell if you can prove that you have it. I had mine with Direct Line for the first year and then with this group:

You pay a subscription and insurance is included as long as you meet the criteria.

HMRC - you need to register with them as self employed if you are making to sell. You need to fill in a form and it is very easy. You will have to do a self assessment tax return ever year, but it unlikely that you will need to pay tax unless you do very well.

Accounts - you need to keep notes of what you buy for your business and what you sell at the fairs. Then keep some very basic accounts which show incomings and out goings. It's much easier than it sounds.

Hope that helps.

christmasclean Fri 07-Nov-14 12:51:12

Thankyou it all helps

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: