Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Changed DS's surname by deed poll (absent father), has anyone ever...

(4 Posts)
AnotherGirlsParadise Mon 03-Nov-14 18:57:41

...successfully done things like apply for passports in the new surname?

To cut a long story short, I had to provide a letter of consent to the deed poll office outlining why I was unwilling/unable to contact DS's absent, violent 'father' to get his written agreement to the surname change. I gave them court and police reference numbers (he was arrested several times due to DV towards me and I obtained a non-molestation order). The deed poll office have accepted this and granted the name change, but they did warn me that not all official bodies would accept it.

So, has anyone managed to get a passport for a DC whose surname has been changed, or get places like schools and surgeries to accept the new name? How difficult is it? Do they need to see the letter of consent too, and possibly the court/police paperwork? TIA!

lostdad Mon 03-Nov-14 19:17:12

If you wish to change the name of a child you need a) the permission of all holders of parental responsibility or b) to make an application to the court.

If you take the matter to court (you will need a C100 form) you will have to convince the court that any order you seek is in the best interests of the child.

Deed polls are a waste of time and money.

HeadDoctor Mon 03-Nov-14 19:19:09

"the deed poll office" - is there an official one? I didn't think there was. Does your ex have parental responsibility? In which case, the only legal way to change your childs name is with his permission or failing that with permission from the court. "The deed poll office" whoever they are have no authority to do what they've done.

AnotherGirlsParadise Mon 03-Nov-14 19:32:49

Thank you both, I did have a feeling that it'd have to go down the court route.

lostdad Thank you for letting me know which form I need!

HeadDoctor Yes, the ex does have PR, unfortunately. He hasn't made any kind of effort to see DS for 2.5 years now, but I know getting PR removed from him would be every kind of nightmare and most likely not possible. The name change was the only thing I felt I could do - he doesn't want to see DS, but he tries to harass me by making repeated contact with the nursery he attends and making threats. DS starts primary school next year, and I wanted to make him as untraceable as humanly possible so his father couldn't continue the harassment and make his school life a misery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now