Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Please Help Advice Needed

(6 Posts)
Sr1980 Sat 01-Nov-14 11:14:06

Apologies in advance due to the long post, so here goes.......

I have been married to my husband for 6 years, we have 2 children together aged 4 and 2, he is an amazing husband and father and I couldn't ask for any more in a man. Recently he has been contacted by a teenager claiming that he is their father. He had a one night stand many years ago and the woman fell pregnant, the woman was seeing someone else at the time and my husband was told that he child was not his. Fast forward to now and this has came as a massive shock, if I'm honest I feel completely sick and upset and so angry at him for being so irresponsible. There is a big possibility though that the child is his. I know this is about a child wanting to know their dad and I would never begrudge that or stop them forming a relationship.
This happened long before we even knew each other but I can't help how I'm feeling, I feel like our happy little family life has just come crashing down, I hate myself for feeling like this and know really it should just be about doing what's right for the child. Also I'm terrified that the mother may come after him for past years of maintenance which would ruin us. If he is the dad he would have no problem supporting her from now on and form a relationship.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 01-Nov-14 13:35:17

A not dis-similar thing happen to my Dad not that long ago. The very first thing Dad did was request a copy of the birth certificate from Somerset House. In my day's case the dates just isn't match up.
The next step would have been a DNA test.

Collaborate Sat 01-Nov-14 13:57:23

He can't be made to pay backdated maintenance

professornangnang Mon 03-Nov-14 12:08:38

DNA test before doing anything else, I think.

LaurieFairyCake Mon 03-Nov-14 12:10:19

Of course he won't pay maintenance.

Though I'm sure as a good dad he will offer something - towards uni fees perhaps?

LaurieFairyCake Mon 03-Nov-14 12:11:02

If it's a young teenager he could of course still have to pay maintenance til adulthood.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now