Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Im so scared. Being sued

(10 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

starshaker Thu 30-Oct-14 15:50:51

Last year I joined partylite as a consultant. I got my kit (or part of it) and was told to get £300 of sales and the kit would be mine. That was fine, or so I thought.

I had made it clear at the beginning that I wouldnt be able to do actual parties because of my kids but i was told there was no pressure. I had planned on putting friends orders etc through. Things started to get busy and I got a date for the trial i was waiting for. I started getting hassling calls, texts etc saying I needed to get the £300 worth of sales in for the end of the month Between the trial and the stress of this, things got too much for me and I ended up on anti depressants. Im still on them now.

I admit i tried the ostrich approach and ignored anything partylite related thinking I would deal with it when my head was better. Today a sheriff officer turned up at my door serving me. Now im terrified. They are asking for £311 for the kit and £110 court fees. I cant afford that. I struggle to keep my head above water as it is.

Twitterqueen Thu 30-Oct-14 15:53:46

I think you need to post in legal?
I can't offer any advice but maybe someone there can. flowers

WooWooOwl Thu 30-Oct-14 15:56:16

You could try calling citizens advice, or debt line for help and advice.

If you have the kit and you haven't paid for it or made the sales, then you will have to pay the money, but it's likely that you will be able to work out an agreement so that you can pay it off slowly at a rate you can afford.

quietbatperson Thu 30-Oct-14 15:58:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

starshaker Thu 30-Oct-14 16:10:21

Ill call CAB tomorrow. Have also called the solicitor on the papers and hopefully rhey will call me back. Ill ask mumsnet to move this too

specialsubject Thu 30-Oct-14 16:12:13

according to the website, the 'job' is ONLY hosting parties selling their stuff. Whoever recruited you just wanted their commission and would have told you black was white to get it. There is always pressure in sales jobs.

unfortunately you ignored all the warnings and now it has come to this. You need urgent advice, they won't go away. They have money to make out of you by suing you.

that said, they are allegedly part of the direct selling association which means you should be able to cancel this contract. You need to look into this urgently. Basically you have to do something.

please, please, never again sign up to these schemes. No-one makes money except the people at the top of the pyramid. They prey on people like you.

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 31-Oct-14 10:10:08

Hello

We've moved this to Legal now at the OP's request. Best of luck OP flowers

Greengrow Sat 01-Nov-14 15:55:52

So they sued you. You chose not to defend the case because you did not look at the paperwork and now bailiffs are coming in. It's very very late in the day to apply to set aside the case as the court gave you your chance to defend and you chose not to put in a defence. The other party has had to spend money on court fees and costs and bailiff costs now too.

Could you offer this 300 of kit back to the organisation as part of any settlement?

starshaker Sun 02-Nov-14 14:30:00

It hasn't been to court and there's nothing about bailiffs. I could give them nearly all the kit back but I didn't get the full kit in the first place.

Greengrow Sun 02-Nov-14 14:32:13

In Scotland do they start a court claim by serving you in person? In England it would just arrive in the post.
So the important next step is to put a defence in within time to the court so they do not get a judgment whilst at the same time trying to negotiate a settlement with them. Try to find some evidence to prove you did not obtain all the kit in the first place. If they get some kit back that presumably would help reduce what you owe and they could then have that kit to go to someone else unless it's damaged and worthless I suppose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now