Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Stem cells - Cells Unlimited out of business?

(6 Posts)
Vanessa335 Wed 15-Oct-14 12:08:21

Has anyone else got their kids' stem cells stored with Cells Unlimited? I've just gone to check my contact details are up to date with them and had a shock - the website is gone, the phone numbers are unobtainable and my emails to them bounce back. I've emailed their parent company in Belgium (Cryo-Save) and am awaiting a reply. The cells were supposed to be stored for 20 years so I'm currently going spare wondering what's happened to them and furious the company didn't let me know they were closing down.

If anyone has any experience of this situation or any advice, it'd be much appreciated.

Vanessa335 Wed 15-Oct-14 12:20:56

**CORRECTION - I meant Cells Limited. Sorry, in my haste my fingers decided to type incorrectly. The company is Cells Limited.

YonicScrewdriver Thu 16-Oct-14 23:37:39

Check your contract - it may say what would be done in this event.

YonicScrewdriver Thu 16-Oct-14 23:42:00

Google reckons the samples are split between Belgium and the Netherlands so there is a good chance the sample will still be fine.

Keios Fri 08-Jan-16 09:03:31

Hi, sorry to bring an old thread back up but did you find out what happened to your cells? We had cells stored with them too and I only found out they gone bust today. I am very worried about our cells since it has been over a year since they had gone bust.

Vanessa335 Mon 08-Feb-16 17:45:28

Update for anyone else panicking:

The contract says nothing about this situation, btw.

I tracked down the head office of Cryo-Save and the cells are safe. They aren't thrilled about Cells Limited not letting anyone know, but whether they've contacted anyone else I can't say.

If anyone else needs confirmation, the email address is: int@cryo-save.com or call +41 55 222 02 56 / 55

If you need the sample in an emergency, contact rp@cryo-save.com

I would strongly suggest anyone affected by this emails Cryo-Save and gets reassurance their cells are safe. If you have your child's reference number, it'll be a big help.

Hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now