Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Legal aid!?

(11 Posts)
WorthMoreThanThat Tue 26-Aug-14 22:00:07

I'm having a complete nightmare with my ex partner whom I have 2 children with. We split up around 5 months ago yet he continues to turn up at my house at night, get in the garden, peek through curtains! He is constantly making threats towards me. I have an appointment with a solicitor tomorrow but I've been told there's no legal aid for these matters anymore!? Is this true and if so does anybody have any idea how much injections/molestation orders cost please!? Police have advised me to go down this route I'm just concerned about costs now! Tia

freemanbatch Tue 26-Aug-14 22:26:46

Try these people, I've heard they are good, although I've not used them myself, and there is very little cost.

I got a letter sent from my solicitor to tell my ex to leave me alone or I would apply for a non-mol and it didn't cost me anything as they put it through as emergency DV protection. It might be worth asking a solicitor.

if you get a non mol in place that might give you access to legal aid for child contact stuff so it might be money well spent!

good luck.

Icimoi Tue 26-Aug-14 22:39:05

I'm no expert but I thought that legal aid is available for domestic violence cases - so make sure that the solicitor you see is able to offer legal aid if you do qualify, as not all solicitors do.

Viviennemary Tue 26-Aug-14 22:45:24

Would this level of harassment not be a police matter in any case without legal aid. Making threats, coming into your garden, and so on that's serious. I'd report it to the police.

WorthMoreThanThat Wed 27-Aug-14 06:53:15

Thanks, I have reported it they have been and spoke to him several times their advice was to speak to a solicitor today and see where to go from there, I literally have no idea what I can do, never had dealings with police or solicitors

Collaborate Wed 27-Aug-14 07:09:04

See a solicitor and ask that they consider granting you emergency legal aid to apply for an injunction. I'm assuming here that you'd be financially entitled to legal aid (either on IS, JSA or v low pay and tax credit income), which would mean you'd qualify for LA for any child related issues.

Greengrow Wed 27-Aug-14 09:59:58

yes although legal aid has gone for all family and divorce cases it remains for domestic violence. Remember legal aid is always a loan though (as far as I am aware) so for example if you recover money or a house you still owe the legal aid board.

Chunderella Wed 27-Aug-14 11:06:01

Legal aid is still available for these matters provided you can demonstrate you are a victim of DV and your income is low enough to qualify you for it, iirc.

Viviennemary Wed 27-Aug-14 12:38:39

Sorry I didn't read your first post properly. I'm a bit disappointed for you that the police didn't take further action by at least speaking to him and giving him a warning about his behaviour. It's a shame you have to resort to doing your own defence. Hope this solicitor will be of help.

StrippedPJs Wed 27-Aug-14 12:58:38

I've had this

Make sure the police are seeing each incident as a whole and not individually. Tell the you want a Harassment Warning Notice giving to your ex this will state if he harasses you again he will be arrested. Ask them if he's been giving verbal warnings every time they go round and keep a log of when he's been in your garden what time, how long etc. If it was me as soon as I saw him I'd call the police and say their is a intruder in your garden.

Legal aid is no longer for family cases unless you are a victim of Domestic Abuse, you do have to prove this by a letter from your HV, GP, A police record of your ex being arrested for DV it's not just a case of saying you've been a victim and you have to have reported it within the last 2 years from your claim otherwise you won't get it.

IIRC they cost around £200 for the fee for filing the application with the court which if you're on benefits or low income you can claim a reduced fee or maybe free fee. HTH

WorthMoreThanThat Wed 27-Aug-14 18:55:21

Thanks everyone, solicitor was amazing and we are going to court Friday morning to get the injunction granted with legal aid :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now