Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Maternity Allowance and JSA

(7 Posts)
WinterLover Sat 05-Apr-14 08:07:42

I've searched and searched google but cant find what im looking for.

Im currently an agency worker in a school. I have a very strong feeling that my 'contract' will end not long after I tell them im pregnant. Even if they keep me there it will end july anyway.

I have checked and I already have worked 36 weeks since the start of my qualifying period.

My question is: If I claim JSA from July until im 29 weeks, then ESA would this affect my maternity allowance? I cant find the info anywhere. I have a feeling i'll have to call the Jobcentre to find out but was hoping someone on here would have some insight into it.

nomoretether Sat 05-Apr-14 09:19:21

I'd be interested to know too. CAB website says you can claim ESA and Maternity Allowance at the same time but everywhere else says it's one or the other.

WinterLover Sat 05-Apr-14 09:21:53

The way I read it I can go from JSA to maternity allowance as long as I've worked enough in my qualifying time (which I already have). I just didn't know if being on JSA affected maternity allowance in any way.

nomoretether Sat 05-Apr-14 09:59:24

Yes you can go from JSA to MA providing you have early enough in your test period. Just not sure where ESA comes into it.

nomoretether Sat 05-Apr-14 09:59:43

Earned*

WinterLover Sat 05-Apr-14 10:08:20

the ESA was my error I thought there was a gap between JSA ceasing and Maternity allowance starting.

Thanks I might be able to sleep tonight now. im hoping I find agency work for aug/sept but with childcare I can't see it being easy.

NeedsAsockamnesty Sat 05-Apr-14 23:08:47

ESA is what you claim if you cannot get MA,if your MA claim is refused they automatically apply for ESA for you.

You will get jsa until MA kicks in then you get that for 39 weeks after that its ESA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now