Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Separated from DH - getting confused about financial aspects

(4 Posts)
dippingmytoeinagain Tue 01-Apr-14 17:16:40

Hello all

DH and I have been separated for close to 2 years. All in all, very amicable and friendly and we are trying to keep things on an even keel for the DCs. Divorce hasn't been discussed and I am in no great hurry. We have reached an informal agreement about assets split but I could do with some recommendations as to where I can get some solid, straightforward advice to make sure that I'm not being naive in what we are agreeing. I am a bit reluctant to involve a solicitor as my perception of that is that it will cost us both a lot of money and potentially lead to things becoming acrimonious - but this is perhaps where I am being naive!

Also, are there any advantages to being legally separated rather than just separated?

Many thanks smile

Nappaholic Tue 01-Apr-14 22:43:35

I'm sorry to hear about yr separation...even if it is amicable.

If you google "Resolution family law" you should be able to find a local Resolution member who will be able to give you some outline or preliminary advice, possibly on a free or fixed fee basis.

Resolution lawyers work to a code that seeks to resolve separation issues by negotiation, rather than confrontation - and who wouldn't want that? They can also explain the differences between divorce, judicial separation, "legal separation" etc.

Good luck!

dippingmytoeinagain Thu 03-Apr-14 14:29:27

Many thanks - I will look them up smile

babybarrister Thu 03-Apr-14 18:06:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now