Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Separated from DH - getting confused about financial aspects

(4 Posts)
dippingmytoeinagain Tue 01-Apr-14 17:16:40

Hello all

DH and I have been separated for close to 2 years. All in all, very amicable and friendly and we are trying to keep things on an even keel for the DCs. Divorce hasn't been discussed and I am in no great hurry. We have reached an informal agreement about assets split but I could do with some recommendations as to where I can get some solid, straightforward advice to make sure that I'm not being naive in what we are agreeing. I am a bit reluctant to involve a solicitor as my perception of that is that it will cost us both a lot of money and potentially lead to things becoming acrimonious - but this is perhaps where I am being naive!

Also, are there any advantages to being legally separated rather than just separated?

Many thanks smile

Nappaholic Tue 01-Apr-14 22:43:35

I'm sorry to hear about yr separation...even if it is amicable.

If you google "Resolution family law" you should be able to find a local Resolution member who will be able to give you some outline or preliminary advice, possibly on a free or fixed fee basis.

Resolution lawyers work to a code that seeks to resolve separation issues by negotiation, rather than confrontation - and who wouldn't want that? They can also explain the differences between divorce, judicial separation, "legal separation" etc.

Good luck!

dippingmytoeinagain Thu 03-Apr-14 14:29:27

Many thanks - I will look them up smile

babybarrister Thu 03-Apr-14 18:06:53

yes I entirely agree. being legally divorced with a final order on money [by consent obviously!] is the best place to be so that if you win the lottery he will have no claim!

if you see a solicitor outside the cities it is likely to much more cost effective and you will only need to attend a couple of times

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now