Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Argos: my rights re: returning a toaster which is blowing the fusebox!!!

(5 Posts)
BlueSkySunnyDay Mon 31-Mar-14 13:21:28

Purchased from Argos December last year. Double Morphy Richards toaster not heavily used (probably weekends only) on Saturday I pushed the lever down and the electric went off, tested 3 more times and the same happened so I can categorically say this is the culprit.

Now the Argos site says "return within 30 days" then if faulty contact the manufacturer (this is going to be a faff as I will have to post it to them)

The sale of goods act says it should be "fit for purpose" (amusingly the Citizens advice site says "For example, a toaster must be able to make toast" grin

So my gut feeling is take it into argos and ask for a replacement (ideally) or a refund.

So, honestly (bearing in mind I have to drive to the closest store) what are my chances of success?

beachyhead Mon 31-Mar-14 13:25:50

Take it to another circuit in the house and try it there first. My kitchen circuit is very sensitive to additional items, so if dishwasher and washing machine are on, OK; add a kettle, OK; add toaster, ping!

It's not the toaster with me, it's just the last thing to go on.

If, with you, it is the toaster, then take it back and tell them that it is blowing the circuit. They should be OK, if you have tested it elsewhere in the house.

HazeltheMcWitch Mon 31-Mar-14 13:26:45

100% ! Why would there be a problem?

I think the law states that they can either refund, replace or repair.
Your contract is with Argos, not the manufacturer hence the onus is on them to act.

Onwhitehorses Mon 31-Mar-14 13:29:22

This is from Which:

Your rights if an item is faulty

In the first six months from when you buy something, the onus is on the seller to prove it was of satisfactory quality when you received it.
If the seller simply says the problem must be due to something you've done, it's for them to prove that.

If something is not of satisfactory quality, you have a statutory right under the Sale of Goods Act, to a refund, have it replaced or repaired for free.
You can ask the retailer to do either, but it can normally choose to do whichever would be cheapest.

If the retailer refuses to repair the faulty goods, you may have the right to arrange for someone else to repair them and claim compensation from the retailer for the cost of doing this.

If the retailer refuses to provide any remedy, such as replacing the item, you can either have your money back minus an amount for the use you've had of it, or keep the item and get a reduction on the price you paid.
If you're having problems and the shop won't repair or replace or replace your goods then it should be reported to your local Trading Standards department as they are breaching your statutory rights.

It's worth telling the shop that you're going to do this as this could mean your complaint is then dealt with.

BlueSkySunnyDay Mon 31-Mar-14 15:32:08

Im pretty sure it's a toaster fault rather than the cicuit. Its a 4 slice one and the left side drops the fuse if I use the right side it works fine.

Im within the 6 months so I will give them a go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now