Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

House sale - bottom of the chain want us to pay their rent.

(22 Posts)
ThePrisonerOfAzkaban Tue 25-Mar-14 16:53:25

We've sold our house the week of Jan 14, and we were advised that we would have a completion date at the end of Feb as everyone in the chain wanted/needed a quick sale. However it is now coming up to the end of March and we've now been told it's going to go though at the end of April, that's because the person at the bottom of the chain has only just today given 4weeks notice on a rented property so will not complete until that time ends. However he has said that if everyone in the chain pays his rent he will complete this week.
Our issue is that we have moved out and our now paying rent and the mortgage, another month doing this will cripple us. Especially as I've been off work due to illness. We are the top of the chain, some of the people in the chain have already said no to paying this guy rent. We have idea what to do its put us in really difficult place, we could pull out of sale and rent the house out but it would only cover costs so if no one in it we would lose out again, however the house is very desirable so really shouldn't have any issues in renting it.
No family to ask for a short term loan.
What on earth should we do?

TheFantasticFixit Tue 25-Mar-14 17:04:15

Goodness, the bloody cheek. We had to take a bit of a risk when giving our notice on our rented flat before getting the completion estimated date through and it was a bit nerve wracking but we knew it would hold up the sale if we delayed! His request is cheeky given he knows that you are likely to be desperate to move and possibly pay it. I don't have any advice but am rather horrified by the predicament he has put you in. Good luck! thanks

ExitPursuedByABear Tue 25-Mar-14 17:06:24

Cheeky fecker. Don't do it!

StealthPolarBear Tue 25-Mar-14 17:08:11

Did you know yiuve posted this twice in two different topics?

TheFantasticFixit Tue 25-Mar-14 17:08:28

Hang on though, now I've thought about it his notice shouldn't hold up the chain. He can complete and move at any point as is proven by him suggesting you pay. The only difference is who pays the rent, not the terms of him staying in the property. Technically he can move out (as we did) at any point during that 4 weeks.

I wouldn't pay it, but I would get your solicitor and the others in the chain to apply a lot of pressure. If he is a FTB I'll beg my bottom dollar he won't want (or be able to afford) for the chain to collapse, especially with notice given. Stand firm I say and ride it out!

LIZS Tue 25-Mar-14 17:09:27

No , that is the risk he took as a renter. Probably got a better price because of it too.

WeileWeileWaile Tue 25-Mar-14 17:12:37

Don't pay him!!!

We had the same when we were buying our first house and moving from rented into our home, but them's the breaks. We just used the overlapping month as a chance to decorate and get the house ready before we moved in.

OwlCapone Tue 25-Mar-14 17:19:44

Did you know yiuve posted this twice in two different topics?

So what? confused

I wouldn't pay, especially if the rest of the chain aren't going to chip in - if they were, it would be tempting just to get it done. Perhaps you could suggest that he pays your rent and mortgage for you.

What does your agent say? What do you think would happen if you told them that you can't afford to wait another 4 weeks and will have to pull out and rent the property out?

ThePrisonerOfAzkaban Tue 25-Mar-14 17:45:18

Well it would be 8 weeks behind at the end of April.

Posted twice for traffic. The other being in aibu, as it not only effects me but the rest of the chain.

ThePrisonerOfAzkaban Tue 25-Mar-14 17:46:17

If we pulled out the whole chain would collapse and no one would be able to buy any of the houses.

OwlCapone Tue 25-Mar-14 18:14:13

Yes, but what would happen if you told your agent you were going to have to pull out. It may shake up the guy at the bottom.

LIZS Tue 25-Mar-14 18:15:44

Presumably you or others' mortgage offers may be in danger of expiry ?

sosadfordd Wed 26-Mar-14 10:37:37

omg, the same happened to me, years ago.

the person at "the bottom of the chain....4 houses..... eventually ,after going awol for 5 weeks, leaving everyone so stressed , said "he couldn't fund the deposit for exchange.

believe it or not, the agents involved asked everyone else in the chain to contribute in order to keep the chain going.

result, some scummy bastard managed to con us all to pay his thousands of pounds deposit.
he must have been laughing all the way to the bank..
it's brinkmanship, nothing more nothing less.
tell him to fuck off,(while crossing your fingers)

ExitPursuedByABear Wed 26-Mar-14 13:33:51

That is outrageous ^

JaneinReading Wed 26-Mar-14 14:00:36

The agent can chip in too. 3 in the chain other than the man at the bottom probably 3 estate agents - can't the 6 of you pay a sixth each and perhaps offer to pay half his rent so each pay 12th of what he was originally asking for?

FiscalCliffRocksThisTown Wed 26-Mar-14 16:59:26

Why should anyone else pay for his rent???

People are quite unbelievable!

hifi Wed 26-Mar-14 17:20:01

If you have already exchanged on the property you cannot pull out.

hifi Wed 26-Mar-14 17:20:47

well you can but you would lose your deposit,or pay your buyer compensation. I wouldn't pay him though.

kilmuir Wed 26-Mar-14 17:28:16

Why does he think people should pay it? Bloody cheek

ThePrisonerOfAzkaban Wed 26-Mar-14 18:17:31

Had some good news the agent that is dealing with us is also dealing with another 2 of the sales (small town) and bless them are going to lower their fees so no one has to pay any extra and to keep the chain going. So this guy now his rent paid, cheeky sod but fingers crossed it will be done with and dusted with by fri

JaneinReading Thu 27-Mar-14 09:05:43

Ah yes, my suggestion in part above was that. When we could not quite reach agreement on the price of this house where we live the agent reduced some of its commission so we were able to reach a bargain and complete the sale.

Are contracts exchanged yet?

Greenkit Sat 29-Mar-14 09:28:35

I would have told him no way and said you were pulling out

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: