Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Separated from my girls' father - who looks after passports?

(8 Posts)
psamiad35 Tue 18-Mar-14 14:55:18

My girls don't actually have passports yet, but I've found out that I would need to get his signature for the applications which is naff. But in the long term, are there any rules that say, as the resident parent, their passport should stay with me once they've been issued? He wants us to have one each, but that makes me really nervous. Plus it's just him trying to exert his so called authority over me in any way he can. I've tried google but came up with nothing. Can anyone help?? Thanks in advance xx

princessalbert Tue 18-Mar-14 14:58:42

I have always dealt with my DS' passpor

princessalbert Tue 18-Mar-14 14:59:35

Passport alone.

I haven't had to ask his DF fo

princessalbert Tue 18-Mar-14 15:01:24

Oh sorry. Using phone.

You will need their DF passport details (if he has one).

So unless the rules have changed you should be able to sort it out yourself.

The RP should store the pssports safely IMO.

NigellasDealer Tue 18-Mar-14 15:01:36

i do not recall needing my husband to sign the passport form...are you sure?

Irishmummy1981 Tue 18-Mar-14 18:03:47

if a child is under 16 both parents need to give consent for passports, Really dont think you can have more than one passport from same country at one time. Are ye both from the same country?

DrankSangriaInThePark Tue 18-Mar-14 18:07:16

He wants to hold one child's passport and let you have the other?

Bit Sophie's Choice isn't it?

Tell him to fuck off.

The RP should have the passports, unless the NR parent is taking them on holiday. In any case, you will each have to have the other's permission to take them out of the country (at the moment it's not a written in stone thing, but if you check the Border Agency website it will advise a letter of consent)

STIDW Tue 18-Mar-14 20:51:17

Children's passports are the property of the Crown rather than either parent. Parental Responsibility means both parents have equal responsibility and rights to carry out those responsibilities. If it can't be agreed who should hold the passport a third party e.g. a solicitor can hold them until they are required.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: