Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Rental property and getting bond to pay for damages

(8 Posts)
balia Fri 14-Mar-14 20:52:48

A friend has a small unfurnished rental property. She lets it out through an agent. The tenants recently moved out - they need a bigger place and have gone into another property managed by the agents. They've left the place in a state; it is utterly filthy. They had asked for permission to have a cat, but it turns out they had 4 cats and 2 dogs. They have also painted 'enthusiastically' including over the kitchen cupboards and bathroom fixtures. This paint is now peeling off and looks terrible. they have also stolen carpets, curtains and even the lightbulbs. They did leave a sofa, however, perhaps they think it's a swap?

So, my friend has worked out the cost of putting the place to rights and it comes to a lot more than the bond. However, when she asked the agent for the bond money to part pay for it, they told her they can't legally give her the money without the written consent of the tenant.

Can this be right? My friend is seriously out of pocket.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Fri 14-Mar-14 20:56:24

The bond money should be held by an independent deposit protection scheme. Your friend needs to apply to them, with quotes for the damage. The ex tenants can appeal, and the deposit protection scheme will decide the matter.

balia Fri 14-Mar-14 21:44:34

Thank you so much. Does she just ask the agents for the contact details of the independent deposit protection scheme? And why would they not tell her that?

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 14-Mar-14 22:46:35

Did she had an independent inventory one before and after the rental period? Without it she will struggle to get money from a deposit scheme, who will be looking for independent proof that the tenant was responsible.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Fri 14-Mar-14 23:22:27

The agency should have told her that, and should, as Lonecat said, have sorted inventories before and after. Your friend should have a look at the contract she has with the agency, they may well be shite. sad

specialsubject Sat 15-Mar-14 10:54:15

also I'm afraid that landlording is not a game for the ill-informed. Your friend should know that the money is in a protection scheme and raise her own dispute quickly.

she will not get back any more than the deposit, despite being the victim of professional thieves. She should also ask to be put in contact with the next landlord.

all the landlord haters - read this and learn something.

holidaysarenice Sat 15-Mar-14 23:36:13

she could sue through the small claims court if she thinks the tenants have the means that they would have to pay.

again good evidence is required.

where any inspections carried out?
this is why ll inspect so often.

balia Mon 17-Mar-14 20:28:53

Thanks for the advice, I have passed it all on. I think my friend thought if she used an agency it would all be dealt with by them - I think they are useless, myself. I've suggested small claims court but she doesn't think the tenants have any money - they had to pay the bond in instalments and have had a meter fitted for the gas and electricity (without permission). No inspections were carried out because the tenants were only there 6 months, but the agency did do an inventory when they left, and have now said the tenants have signed so my friend will at least get the bond.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: