Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Other people uploading photos of your kids (well babies) online. Rights?

(5 Posts)
Dishabiliophobia Tue 11-Mar-14 10:00:54

No matter what your opinion on the subject, how can I stop in laws from posting pics of my son online for the whole world to see. They certainly do not have my parental permission but they do have my DSs dads permission. Do you need both parents permission to do this or if one parent disagrees can you get them taken down?
Does anyone have a clue about this?

purplebaubles Tue 11-Mar-14 10:03:18

I don't know, but it's one reason I hate the internet!

Your photos used to be private just to you - and to who you chose to show them to. That meant that yes, in laws could have taken some of their own snaps of your son, and showed their neighbours/friends (and you wouldn't have known) but they wouldn't have been available for the world to see...

I have a horrid feeling that there is nothing that can be done about this!

RawCoconutMacaroon Tue 11-Mar-14 10:05:59

I think it depends where the photo was taken, but the basic rule is, you don't own the copyright to a picture just because you (or your child) is in it - the photographer does.

I would hope that your family and friends would abide by your wishes tho if you tell them you don't want photos uploaded.

prh47bridge Tue 11-Mar-14 10:12:07

They need permission from the photographer, so they cannot post photos you took without your permission. If the photos were taken in a public place or in their own home they don't need any other permission. Some websites will remove the photos if you complain.

Branleuse Tue 11-Mar-14 10:14:23

why do you care?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now