Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

I cannot get legal aid for divorce - does anyone know about after event insurance?

(12 Posts)
januarycat Mon 10-Mar-14 16:54:40

I'm running out of options & my solicitor mentioned this at our initial meeting.
I have no money due to being in a financially & emotionally abusive marriage.
Legal aid not an option, I need proof of domestic violence. My only hope was a letter from my doctor stating I am on antidepressants due to dom violence, doctor refuses.
Im waiting to receive income support, but in the meantime using ccards to buy food.

Any advice much appreciated.

lostdad Mon 10-Mar-14 18:32:03

Consider a McKenzie Friend if you can't afford a solicitor.

They are not solicitors or barristers and don't need to be legally qualified, but some are. They cannot speak for you in court or act as your agent but they can do much of the work. Some of them do it for a living, some for free. I can think of a few who are legally qualified, have worked in courts around the country (including the High Court) and have had rights of audience there.

Basic information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McKenzie_friend

More info: http://www.fnf.org.uk/law-and-information/mckenzie-friends

They're more and more common as the cut in legal aid bites. So are unrepresented litigants. Some legal professionals are very dismissive of them but others (including most of the solicitors and barristers I meet in court) realise the value they can bring - helping organise paperwork, advising people of their options and when to speak and when to be quiet! wink

januarycat Mon 10-Mar-14 18:52:21

Thanks, lostdad
I've never heard of a Mckenzie Friend. Will research when DSs are in bed smile

babybarrister Tue 11-Mar-14 10:55:08

There are loans which you can take out to fund legal proceedings depending on what the likely outcome would be

There is also a way of applying for the other party to fund legal costs pursuant to s22z matrimonial causes act 1973 - again depends on your ex's resources

januarycat Tue 11-Mar-14 12:32:27

Thanks for that babybarrister, I will look into it smile

babybarrister Tue 11-Mar-14 12:41:37

I have no idea what the interest rates might be re these litigation loans but worth having a look ....

lostdad Wed 12-Mar-14 10:49:46

It's worth remembering that even if you are eligible for legal aid it is supposed to be paid back at some point!

babybarrister Wed 12-Mar-14 12:21:42

yes - legal aid is a loan not a gift!

januarycat Thu 13-Mar-14 19:42:19

Yes, a loan, but more importantly, an interest free one. I got legal aid for my first divorce & paid it back as soon as I went back to work.

Collaborate Thu 13-Mar-14 19:56:34

You do have to pay interest if you can't repay it when the case ends. The rate is something like 8%.

januarycat Thu 13-Mar-14 20:27:03

Wow, didn't realise that,Collaborate.

babybarrister Thu 13-Mar-14 20:55:57

Interest rate was raised considerably a number of years ago - before then it was pretty nominal - now it is very high to dissuade people from using it as a cheap loan ....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now