Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Statutory Declaration required for driving licence application. What is this?

(11 Posts)
LeadingToGadeBank Mon 03-Mar-14 16:58:36

Until I was 18, I unofficially used my stepfather's surname.

At 17 I applied for and received my first driving licence with that surname.

At 18 I reverted back to my birth surname.

25 years later I've applied to replace that lost provisional driving licence, but DVLA won't accept my passport, birth certificate, signed letter from my mother confirming my identity and the link between my stepfather's name and my birth name.

DVLA want a 'Statutory Declaration' from a solicitor as well.

The solicitor just says that's their signature to prove they've seen my documents (passport, birth cert, etc) but DVLA want a 'link to prove how my stepfather's name and my birth name are connected').

I'm flummoxed! All my official childhood documents such as hospital admissions, dental, National Health Card, educatioetc are all in his surname, but I have no record of any of those anymore.

So how do I prove my stepfather's surname that I took (well, my mother did so that all her siblings had the same surname) is linked to my birth name, if I wasn't officially adopted by him?

SliceOfLime Mon 03-Mar-14 17:07:13

Maybe your mother and step father's marriage certificate? If you can find it! Would have his surname and her name (presumably your birth name) plus your birth cert with your mum's name and yours - might do it?

LeadingToGadeBank Mon 03-Mar-14 17:27:34

No, my birth surname was from my mother's first marriage. For example, she was born Jones, married Mr Smith, then had me so my birth surname is Smith.

Then she divorced him and briefly reverted to Jones.

Then married Bloggs, whose surname she bestowed unofficially on me.

My stepfather died many years ago but she has kept his name as she's widowed.

NeedsAsockamnesty Mon 03-Mar-14 17:57:42

Knock yourself up a basic deed poll google wording and get anybody with a degree who knows you to sign it.

Job done.

LeadingToGadeBank Mon 03-Mar-14 22:04:20

A deed poll for what though, NeedsASock? To change my name? I've been using my birth name since I was 18 (I'm now 45) and my birth name is what I want my driving licence replacement to be in. I have no need to reprise my stepfather's surname/childhood name.

RoganJosh Mon 03-Mar-14 22:13:07

I'd probably just do the statutory declaration. It's about £30.

Rowood Mon 03-Mar-14 22:13:59

I had exactly the same problem and didn't want to pay £100 which I was quoted from a solicitor. I called the DVLA and told them there is no way I can afford this- try sent me a form to sign to state my name and I sent it back to them. Had to so it with passport office too and they did the same. Plead poverty!

LeadingToGadeBank Mon 03-Mar-14 22:22:07

Rowood Did the DVLA specifically ask for a 'Statutory Declaration* from you?

NeedsAsockamnesty Mon 03-Mar-14 23:07:50

Sorry I miss read that I thought you needed your licence in your assumed name not your birth name


Rowood Thu 06-Mar-14 04:16:53

Sorry for the delay. Yes they wrote to me and specifically asked for one.

Collaborate Fri 07-Mar-14 07:15:00

It can be terribly confusing. All you need is a change of name deed. Google it and you may be able to find some examples online.
Some people prefer to do a stat dec, which a solicitor would have to countersign, but a deed will do instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now