Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Changing locks/handing over keys

(4 Posts)
christmasclean Mon 03-Mar-14 07:49:58

I am currently in the process of divorce. Things are un amicable and pretty nasty to be honest. My main reason for divorce is his drink problem/ and verbal abuse.
He has told my daughter he is moving out in 3 weeks.
We know no other details.
Can I get the locks changed or have him hand over all keys once he's vacated.?
Or do I have to wait until absolute?
I wanted to ask here first as running to my solicitor will cost a fortune. If you think that this a case where I need to please tell me

Collaborate Mon 03-Mar-14 09:04:37

If he moves out voluntarily I'd change the locks if I were you. Strictly speaking you're not allowed to exclude him from the property if he's a joint owner, but in practical terms you need your privacy.

FrogbyAnotherName Mon 03-Mar-14 11:00:37

I did what collaberate suggests and changed the locks when my ex moved out - I agreed (through mediation) set times he could come and remove the items he wanted (he was a hoarder, so it took a week).

He got his solicitor to send me a shitty letter saying I wasn't allowed to, my solicitor sent one back explaining that he had had lots of agreed access, he then threatened to smash a window but didn't go through with it - and now, 5 years on, we're reasonably amicable co parents to DD!

christmasclean Mon 03-Mar-14 11:36:27

Yes he has lots of hoarded storage here to, closer the time I will try and speak to him about access arrangements , if we have them set in place I will proceed with lock changing.
Thankyou

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now