Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Divorce and inheritance

(3 Posts)
prettypurpledaisy Sun 02-Mar-14 13:27:38

I have been separated for 4 years and was planning to start divorce proceedings in November once 5 years were up. In the meantime I have inherited some money from a relative and wonder where I stand legally.
Divorce would have been simple no joint assets child maintenance always paid. What happens now? Would he be entitled to a share of my inheritance? Anyone any experience of this?

Collaborate Sun 02-Mar-14 13:59:30

The answer to your question is probably not, but best to take some proper legal advice. Needs of the parent with whom the children live are a factor that could make a non-inheriting spouse claim a share of the other's inherited assets, but generally assets inherited so long after separation won't be shared unless the other spouse's reasonable needs cannot be met without recourse to them.

mumblechum1 Sun 02-Mar-14 19:21:17

What Collaborate said grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now