Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

When do I pay the solicitor?

(8 Posts)
Amicus1966 Sat 01-Mar-14 23:42:46

If I ask my solicitor to start divorce proceedings when do I start payment?
will she expect payment upfront? After each letter? At the end?
I want to set the ball rolling but need to know how much this is going to cost.

Nappaholic Sun 02-Mar-14 00:16:02

We ask for £250 upfront, then £250 a month (or less, depending on individual circs). The court issue fee is £410 though so brace yourself for that. You can claim costs from the other party, but even if granted, won't be payable until the end...only a runner if using adultery/unreasonable behaviour. Hope this helps...good luck!

babybarrister Sun 02-Mar-14 07:49:14

All depends on the firm

mumblechum1 Sun 02-Mar-14 07:49:16

I always asked for £500 upfront then billed for whatever work I'd done thatmonth so it varied q a bit.
Btw costs orders are due 14 days after decree absolute. I always pushed fir it as it was helpful for the client.
Been out of family law for 18 months so not sure of the rule but think its r44 of. Cpr which also applies ti costs of divorce main suit

mumblechum1 Sun 02-Mar-14 07:49:40

Decree nisi i mean

Amicus1966 Sun 02-Mar-14 08:56:55

Thanks.
Was hoping they would bill afterwards to give me time to save uphmm

mumblechum1 Sun 02-Mar-14 19:15:13

Well, you could always ask, but most firms prefer to bill as they go along rather than present a huge, unpayable bill at the end.

I'm sure if you explain that you can only pay a fixed amount per month they will give it a few months and as long as you are keeping reasonably on top of the costs, extend the arrangement.

The 2 most important ways of keeping your costs down are:

1. Be very organised. Give them the documents you ask for promptly, in a sensible order. I used to have to wade through carrier bags of ancient bank statements and irrelevant bills sometimes and time is money.

2. Don't make the mistake of expecting your solicitor to be your friend/counsellor. They are there to get you the best possible deal in the most cost effective way possible. Often this will be a matter of arithmetic. If you need to share your feelings, do it with a friend who isn't charging you north of £200 an hour!

Amicus1966 Tue 04-Mar-14 19:51:16

Thanks!
I need to be more organised thensmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now