Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Assignment & Agreement form?

(4 Posts)
Greybrows Sat 01-Mar-14 14:07:35

My parked car was written off by a drunk driver. I have been paid by my insurance company and told the other party was insured. This morning their insurance company have sent me some forms to sign as they say the other party was in breach of their terms and therefore not insured. It's called an assignmenment and agreement form and is asking me to transfer my right of recovery to them. They say that unless I sign they will not settle the claim unless I obtain a court judgement. Another form is about my hire car asking if I could have managed with a cheaper one or used public transport. I took the car offered which was in a similar category to my own, as decreed by my own insurance - technically I could have managed with a cheaper one. Is all this ok, should i sign the form? Also if I agree I could have managed with a cheaper hire car could I end up with a bill for the price difference? Thanks anyone who can advise.

Collaborate Sat 01-Mar-14 21:07:23

If you have legal expenses on your car insurance, appoint a solicitor through that so they can deal with it on your behalf.

greenfolder Mon 03-Mar-14 21:48:45

Assignment and agreement is fine. Basically the insurers are liable under the RTA to pay any unsatisfied judgement. This form allows them to get their money back from their policyholder after they have paid you. I would tell them that you had a comparable hire car-which you needed due to kids work whatever,

Greybrows Mon 03-Mar-14 21:55:36

Thanks for replying. I rang my insurer today and they confirmed it was ok. It just seemed a bit odd that the other party's insurer was contacting me directly. The young kid that hit our cars is going to get a big bill as well as a ban. Silly boy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now