Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Changing married surname to maiden name and married name (double barrelled surname)

(8 Posts)
LunchLadyWannabe Fri 28-Feb-14 22:28:30

I really hate my married surname.

I cringe when i have to tell anyone my surname as its very common.

I regret not double barrelling my maiden name with married surname on the end.

If i was to double barrel it now, how do i do it? Do i have to do it by dee poll? (Sp)

contortionist Fri 28-Feb-14 22:41:19

Yes, by deed poll. You can do it for free - download a template, fill it out, print several copies on posh paper and sign them all.
It's easiest to start with passport and driving licence, then move on to banks, council tax, electoral roll etc. Having several copies means you can send everyone an 'original' without having to wait for them to send it back.

There's an official form here, or you could use
The posh paper is important - my bank refused to accept a deed poll printed on normal printer paper.

LunchLadyWannabe Fri 28-Feb-14 22:49:13

Great advice thank you!

I was hoping i could just change it myself without deed poll as i have been known by my maiden name

Graciescotland Fri 28-Feb-14 23:12:22

I just started using mines TBH my paperwork is a bit of a mashmash, I have bank accounts in married, maiden and double barrelled name. Passport still in maiden name, am in Scotland though where I think you can use any name you please so long as your intent is not to defraud.

MostWicked Fri 28-Feb-14 23:15:39

If you are known by your maiden name then you can just use your marriage certificate to show to your bank etc, to change to your double barrel married name.

LunchLadyWannabe Fri 28-Feb-14 23:17:05

Im known by my married name.

Been married 18 months.

MostWicked Sat 01-Mar-14 12:50:55

I still think you could ask your bank to change it to double barrel without having to change it by deed poll.

bamboobutton Sat 01-Mar-14 12:56:07

i recently went back to my maiden name(still married) after 7yrs marriage, just hated it and couldn't get used to it.

banks, passport, mortgage applications would only accept a deed poll cert.

it only costs about £30(??? can't remember what i paid now)ish pounds and saves a butt load of hassle.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: