Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

De-frauded. Any advice?

(5 Posts)
BusyCee Fri 28-Feb-14 19:47:10

I'm so cross and upset I can't think too much about this. But know you're wise women and may have some sage words for me

In tough times I put some heirloom diamond jewellery up for sale through a jeweller I have known loosely for a couple of years. The agreement was he'd take a commission on the sale price. Left it with him and checked in every couple of weeks; each time was told it hadn't sold, but that Christmas was coming up, or valentines day, leave it for a bit and see. So eventually I thought he hadn't had any luck so I'd get it back from him and try selling through another channel. And the bastard buggering bastard bastard went into administration in early December. About a week after I last spike to him. Taking my bastard diamonds with him.

I've found out who the administrator is and spoke to them this week. They've put me on the creditors list, but she's advised I'm unlikely to get anything back at all, and if so it'll just be pennies in the pound. The jewellery was worth over £7,000. I'm speechless. And gutted. I was relying on that money.

That's it really. I know this is a state of mind, and I just need to accept its gone and reassess. But it bloody stings, feels just so unfair - I trusted that bloody bastard and he knew my situation. And I'm just impotently sitting here swearing and imagining repeatedly stuffing utility bills down his throat until he stops squealing. Bastard buggering bloody bastard.

Bogeyface Fri 28-Feb-14 19:49:43

But if you didnt sell them to him then he isnt the owner so it cant be considered part of his assets and you can legally demand them back.

If he has sold them and not given you the money then I would be consulting a lawyer about whether you can do anything more about it as surely that is theft?

theladylovescupcakes Fri 28-Feb-14 19:53:04

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. Might be an idea posting in legal? As he hadn't paid you for the items it could be argued that they weren't legally his and shouldn't be included in his assets. Assuming, of course, he hadn't sold them already. Hope you get some helpful advice.

BusyCee Fri 28-Feb-14 20:10:26

Good call. Thanks. I'll ask MN Towers to move me to legal.

Thank you. It feels better to have your sympathy!

fuckwittery Fri 28-Feb-14 22:52:26

Have you got anything inwriting? You need to get back in touch with the administrator and stress these diamonds still belong to you, they were not bought by the jeweller, he was simply holding them to your order to try to sell them for commission. I think the term is that they were goods in escrow but bumping for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now