Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Divorcing my husband...

(3 Posts)
NowLivingAbroad Mon 24-Feb-14 16:42:39

Right, husband is British and I'm non-Brit. I'm now back living in my country. I do not have an address for husband, although if I wanted to, I could get. Can I start divorce proceedings from my country? And if so, how do I go about it? Do I go the British Embassy here? Thanks for help

nickymanchester Mon 24-Feb-14 18:32:47

It will depend on the law in the country where you are now living.

But, generally, if you are resident in that country then you will be able to get divorced in that country - you do not need to get divorced in the UK.

You need to follow the legal steps in the country where you are now living, you don't need to do anything with the British Embassy

Whether it is better to get divorced in your present country or in the UK will depend on your personal circumstances and what laws there may be on child maintenance and spousal support etc on divorce.

NowLivingAbroad Mon 24-Feb-14 19:34:29

Thank you Nickymanchester - there was no children. I will look into it

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: